_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Custom/home made decals?
madwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
AeroScale: 66 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:31 PM UTC
I need to make some decals for a MiG-29 that I will be building soon. I've searched around on the web and I've found some "try it" paper. Does anyone have experience with it or perhaps you could suggest a better way to make some decal? I have access to a laser color printer. Might be able to find an inkjet as well if need be.
Thanks.
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:50 PM UTC
I have an alternate method but it works best on simpler designs. First, draw your artwork on your computer and print it out. Spray the back of the design with 3M or similar spray mount. Let it dry, and apply it directly over the top of appropriately colored decal sheet . Using a brand new #11 blade, cut out the design on a piece of glass. You can get get as intricate as you are good with a knife. Peel the design off of the decal and apply. This method can be used for multiple color decals simply by layering them. I like this method because there will be absolutely no clear film to fool with. Doing them this way will make them look painted on. A few examples are in my gallery on two Sherman tanks.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
AeroScale: 15 posts
Posted: Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 12:51 PM UTC
I tried making custom decals couple of months ago... and I liked it.

I got a sheet of cear decal paper and also a sheet of white decal paper (cause most printers don't print white... so if you have any white color on your graphic...). The thing you must consider is getting sheets that are specific to your printer - inkjet or laser... most of the decal films indicate what kind of printer are they suitable for. Make a graphic in CorelDraw or Photoshop and use high quality printer.

Here I found some tips on making the decals:

LINK

Don't be affraid to try it. You'll probably ruin couple of first printouts, but in the end it is well worth the trouble...

Mario.
 _GOTOTOP