P47N -pics
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 370 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:13 PM UTC
Greetings,
The Academy offering, fitted with the Tamiya "D" cowl and true details wheels. Comments welcome...

Steve

wingman
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 880 posts
AeroScale: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:30 PM UTC
Sweet Crockett. What brand of paint did you use? I'm doing a Razorback next in natural metal. Looks good, Wingman out.
jonnysocko
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 192 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:30 PM UTC
Nice 47!!!

BH
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 07:53 PM UTC
WOW!
That is a super nice P-47 Crockett!
I have a "D" model from Hasegawa in my stash I've been wanting to do but somehow my finger keeps clicking on the "enlist" button on the campaigns page. At the rate I'm going ya'll will get to see my finished P-47 sometime in 2008.

Congradulations. That is one to be proud of. Nice job!

Hermon
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 09:10 PM UTC
Very nice work Steve. While the academy kits aren't perfect, they are pretty nice, huh? So now do you have a Tamiya without a cowl? was the fit of this crossover piece perfect or did you have to do some adjusting?

One tiny comment, and I only noticed because it always seems to happen to me (it could be a trick of the camera), but it looks like some tire color chipped off leaving areas of silver. I would love to know if anyone has tricks to be able to paint resin tires first with silver and then overspray with tire color without the color always flaking off... Anyway a quick touch up should be really easy.

Again, superb work!
Leon
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, February 25, 2006 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Very nice work Steve. While the academy kits aren't perfect, they are pretty nice, huh? So now do you have a Tamiya without a cowl? was the fit of this crossover piece perfect or did you have to do some adjusting?

One tiny comment, and I only noticed because it always seems to happen to me (it could be a trick of the camera), but it looks like some tire color chipped off leaving areas of silver. I would love to know if anyone has tricks to be able to paint resin tires first with silver and then overspray with tire color without the color always flaking off... Anyway a quick touch up should be really easy.

Again, superb work!

Leon

Hi Leon,

Yes the Academy kits seem to be better than Promodeler when you're talking the "N". Tamiya would hit a home run with an "N" release!

Actually, I picked up two Bubbletop kits at Hobby Lobby (1/2 off sale), I anticipated using one for spares when I tackled the Academy "N". The split cowl in the Academy kit is just wrong. The tire issue is nothing more than some lint picked up somewhere, thanks for spotting it.
As for the cowling, I did have to construct a brace for the top underside to support it, just a styrene sprue section coming off the back row radial cylinder..worked quite well and is invisible.

Here's the Tamiya "D"-complete with a cowl!.....

regards,
Steve
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 12:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the info. Man I wish I had a hobby lobby around...

Again, great work.
Leon
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:28 AM UTC
Hi Steve!

Great model you've made! I always asked myself if Academy's P-47s could be build as good as the Tamiya or Hasegawa ones? Now my question is answered!
Apart from the cowl and the wheels is it OOB? The cockpit area and the overall detail seems very good!

Jean-Luc
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve!

Great model you've made! I always asked myself if Academy's P-47s could be build as good as the Tamiya or Hasegawa ones? Now my question is answered!
Apart from the cowl and the wheels is it OOB? The cockpit area and the overall detail seems very good!

Jean-Luc

Hello Jean Luc,

The only additional AM are the PE belts, which came from a generic Eduard set in the spares box, and lead foil as well. I also added brake lines to the gear. The remainder is OOB. Fit is decent, I used Mr. Surfacer 1000 through the airbrush to minimize the leading edge and wing root seams.

Steve
Gloss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

I really like your model, excellently painted. Like Wingman, I would like to know the brand of paint that you used on it too, please.

Mark
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Steve,

I really like your model, excellently painted. Like Wingman, I would like to know the brand of paint that you used on it too, please.

Mark

Mark, Wingman,

Sorry guys, I got caught up with the other questions and forgot to respond on the paint. I used Alclad II, polished aluminum,matte aluminum,white aluminum and duraluminum. I polished the bare plastic with Tamiya fine polishing compound, applied Mr. Surfacer 1000 to the wing root seams and the leading edges, and wet sanded them with 600 grit. I then primed the polished / washed plastic with Future. My base coat was Alclad polished aluminum, I then masked and shot the different shades of Alclad around the panels that required shading. The tail was shot with a mixture of Tamiya Flat Yellow and Gunze gloss orange acrylic. The flat yellow and gloss orange resulted in a satin finish, which worked out well.

regards,
Steve
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 04:33 AM UTC
Sniff......sniff......sniff....
I think I smell possible back to back P-47 MOM winners.

Crockett, some interresting things you've said here.
1. I didn't realize one could mix flat and gloss paints. Does this work only for acrylics or enamels as well?
2. Coating the model with Future before painting. Is this for better paint sticking or easier clean up of mistakes or what?

Hermon
crockett
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sniff......sniff......sniff....
I think I smell possible back to back P-47 MOM winners.

Crockett, some interresting things you've said here.
1. I didn't realize one could mix flat and gloss paints. Does this work only for acrylics or enamels as well?
2. Coating the model with Future before painting. Is this for better paint sticking or easier clean up of mistakes or what?

Hermon

HI there Hermon,

I respect the MOM, however I don't enter my models in any type of competition whatever. It's just a personal decision with me, sort of keeps model building a hobby, just like it started with me as a kid.

Well, I didn't relaize that one could mix Gumze gloss acrylic with Tamiya acrylic myself! Necessity is apparently the mother of invention, as I was trying to get that "yellow / orange" squadron color matched. IThese were the only paints I had available. It worked. I thinned with 90% Isopropyl alchohol.

Secondly, I realized long ago that the Alclad black primer (laquer) that they sell is not ideal. It seems like it never dries. So I just went to a primer of Future for all my NMF Alclad finishes. The Alclad II shows every imperfection, even mold swirls in the plastic. A good polishing, and then at least two good coats of future, insure a perfect surface to apply Alclad. Many believe that one must have gloss black underneath Alclad II, but I get along fine without it.

Steve

_GOTOTOP