_GOTOBOTTOM
Air Campaigns
Want to start or join a group build? This is where to start.
Display Team Campaign Anyone?
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,405 posts
AeroScale: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 12:17 AM UTC
Been looking at the Aircraft Campaigns for the latter part of the year and starting June 01, 2006 there are three; “Duel in the Sky”, “Fighters Under the Midnight Sun” and “Wild Weasels”. As, to date, a total of only 30 members (four of which are multi-campaign participants) have signed up to all three campaigns, there might be a niche for another campaign.

Currently the building of scale aircraft is still new to me, and already I’m attracted to the flamboyant Naval markings of bygone years, now mostly limited to a few CAG and demonstration aircraft.

I was thinking along the lines of Aerobatic Display Teams, Display Teams and/or Demonstration teams/aircraft.
Basically any aircraft in scales 1/144 to 1/24 that has ‘flown’ either for (or as) a display- or demonstration team/aircraft. All that is required for the campaign is a photo of the aircraft (you have modelled) and if it’s not an aerobatic display team aircraft, a short piece/paragraph describing when and where it performed.

Now this is where ‘National pride’ should show up and point all participants in the right direction.
As I’m a dual citizen, I’ve already tried flipping a coin and am now trolling Ebay and other sites for the necessary kit (I’ve got the Red Arrows Hawk T1a). Now it’s just to find either an Aeroclub Pilatus PC-9 that will require some backdating to achieve a PC-7 or more likely ESCI/Italeri’s Aeromacchi Atlas MB326M Impala Mark I.

Aerobatic Display Teams (to name a few)

Red Arrows
Thunderbirds
Blue Angels
Midnight Hawks
Russian Knights
Ukrainian Falcons
Freece Tricolori
Team 60
Silver Falcons
Silver Swallows
Patrouille de France
Patrouille de Suisse
The Snowbirds (Present RCAF display team see:http://www.snowbirds.dnd.ca/)
Golden Hawks Aerobatic Team (Former RCAF team disbanded 1964)
Royal Jordanian Falcons
Biele Albatrosy
Team Iskry
Turkish Stars
Patrulla Aguila
'Double Dutch' Synchro Pair

If you aren’t into Red, white and blue aircraft, remember that there are teams that fly standard/camouflaged aircraft too. The Finnish Air Force display team, ‘Midnight Hawks’, fly four BAe Hawk camouflaged fighter/trainers.

Display Teams

An example is ‘The Blue Eagles Helicopter Display Team’.
http://www.airshows.org.uk/teams/introduction.html

Demonstration Teams/Aircraft

There are numerous teams/aircraft, see http://www.militaryairshows.co.uk/ for info on just the RAF aircraft, not to mention the Test Pilots Team of the Gromov Flight Test Research Institute. The Royal Netherlands Air Force (KLU) do a great solo AH-64D Apache demonstration.

For more info on different Display teams see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aerobatic
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 02:33 AM UTC
If I end up being divorced it'll be all your fault...........if you get it organized, I'm in.

Saw a nice Blue Angels (Hellcat?) I believe over the weekend at my LHS from Hasegawa. Must have been one of the original planes flown my the BA's when they were first formed. Might make a nice subject.

Hermon
(with his right hand in the air swearing this will be the last campaign he enters for the year )
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hi Eric

To be honest, I'm not sure if any new campaign ideas are being accepted for this year - I thought the concensus was that only those submitted by the New Year would be considered - but who am I to try to keep up - I'd never even heard of "Duel In The Sky"! LOL! :-)...

But, even if this doesn't get past Gunnie, there's nothing to stop you running a Group Build.

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 12:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd never even heard of "Duel In The Sky"! LOL! :-)...

What!!! Never heard of "Duel In The Sky"! well, maybe it's because I didn't "advertise" for it yet... :-)

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 05:29 PM UTC
Jean-Luc,

I thought you were in charge of the Dental campaign?! :-)

I didn't know that you had more campaigns registered. I can't see it on the Aircraft campaign page.

Cheers!
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 06:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

But, even if this doesn't get past Gunnie, there's nothing to stop you running a Group Build.

Rowan, too true! If there's enough interest and it doesn’t get approval as a campaign, a group build it shall be.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2006 - 06:31 PM UTC
Hi Björn!

The "Duel" Campaign is listed in the main Campaign page in the "Debarkation" zone. It should begin June 01st... I was insane enough to propose two campaigns last year, hoping at least one would be accepted!
To return on topic, I would be tempted to do that Campaign you are talking about Eric... nice idea! A "civil" or "racer" Campaign would also be cool. To sum up, something not military to change a little...

Jean-Luc
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 04:55 AM UTC
Jean-Luc, I too would enjoy a civilian only Aerobatic / barnstormer campaign. Unfortunately Pitts Specials, CAP 232, Extra 300, Edge 540, Su-26, Su-29 and Su-31 models are extremely scarce.

The only companies, I know of, that release plastic civilian models are AMOdels (AMO) and Classic Plane all in 1/72 scale.

AMO do the Su-26M, Pitts Special S2A, Christen Eagle I & II, Yak-50 V2, Gee Bee Super Sportster R1 & R2. Here Avia Press is your best bet.

Classic Plane do an Extra 300 (see: http://www.classic-plane-mrr.de/index_e.html). Bernd Korte did a review of this kit at Aircraft Resource Center.

AIRSHOWMODELS do quite a number of Civil Aero kits in 1/32, but at US$85 it’s a bit too rich for my blood.

Well with 8+ Plastic kits available in 1/72 scale, plus all the refitted P-51Ds and other Ex-WWII prop aircraft on the Barnstorming circuit, maybe (with enough support) we can look into doing a Civil only Group Build.

Move the Proposal for the Military Display Team / Aircraft Campaign / Group Build to start of next year?
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 11:51 PM UTC
Eric wrote:

Quoted Text

I was thinking along the lines of Aerobatic Display Teams, Display Teams and/or Demonstration teams/aircraft

Count me in!!!! :-)

Having seen the decal sheet on the upgraded Marivox 1/72 kit of the Saab 105 trainer (Sk 60), I simply have to build a plane from "Team 60"!!

This might be an interesting link for those seeking a subject

Cheers!
Savage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 08:26 PM UTC
Well it seems there are only four interested parties. So at best we can make it a group build. Anyone got any other ideas, suggestions?

I’ve ordered AMO’s Sukhoi SU-26 Aerobatic kit, if it ever gets here I’ll let you know…
 _GOTOTOP