_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Spitfire MK.I Letter Code Color
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
I am thinking of painting on the Codes for my Tamiya 1/48 spitfire. Should they be the same sky color as the underside? The included decals don't really look to match the tamiya sky...
Thanks for any help. Also the whites in the roundels don't really look white. Should they be?
Leon
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Leon

The colours of the squadron letters on the spitfire was grey, I believe it was "medium sea grey". This was changed later in the war to "sky". For your Mk 1 it would be grey as by the time the change to sky was brought in most Mk 1s were not in front line service.

I agree the white in the roundels in the Tamiya kit are not true white when on the decal sheet but I've built a few and it isn't really noticeable when they are on the finished kit.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi Leon, martin is correct Spitfire Mk I's wore markings in Medium Sea Grey and the white should be white
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
Thanks guys. I was only able to find light sea gray at the hobby shop, but am thinking I will darken to try to match. Now I just hope I can cut decent masks - otherwise, I'll just go with decals, but I thought it would be fun/good to try painting.

Anyway, again, thanks for the help!
Leon
 _GOTOTOP