_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
chipped paint
Nitro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 05:59 PM UTC
Hi all,

I made some chipped paint on my aircraft but it turned out really bad. Can someone give me some advice on how I can do it a bit more realistic?

Thanks, Davy
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 06:57 PM UTC
Hi!

My favorite method for chipped paint is:
1. Paint the surface with metalizer paint, and rub it to shine (I prefer Gunze).
2. Use a small brush to apply dots of wax-based car polish where you wish the paint to come off.
3. Paint the color coat, (If you are careful enough, you can handbrush it too) preferably sprayed.
4. After the color coat has dried, put small straps of low-tack masking tape to the spots that had been waxed - and pull them off. Since paint won't adhere to wax, paint will peel off . Now you have perfect chipped paint - basically the same way as real paint chips. Voilá!

Good luck trying!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 07:16 PM UTC
Hi Davy!

I use Basically Gàbor's technique... without the wax thing! :-) Usually the paint I use (Tamiya acrylics) peel of easily over Metal paint (Metalizer, Metal Coat etc...) and therefore leaves nice random chipped paint effects. A method to have control over paint chipping is to use Maskol over the desired areas then paint... when the maskol is removed you can see the natural metal.
Gàbor, thanks for the Wax idea! I will try that one day on a badly chipped aircraft...

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 08:03 PM UTC
My method, or the one I'm currently trying is the same as Jean-Luc. I also use Tamiya paints for the top coat and when it's dry I use tape to pull it up or also a pair of tweezers to carefully scrape away chips. After the base coat of metal paint is dried I spray a coat of metal sealer overtop and then a coat of Future.
I also use a silver art pencil along the seam lines and other areas where scraping/tape are not as accurate.

Hermon.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 04, 2006 - 11:29 PM UTC
Hey Dave,
I like to use rubber cement. I find it to be the easiest way for me. Take a look at this.

rubber cement
Nitro
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West-Vlaaderen, Belgium
KitMaker: 34 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 02:49 PM UTC
Thanks a lot guys, I'll try those techniques this weekend.

Davy
 _GOTOTOP