_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
The Orange Goose has landed!
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:09 AM UTC
Here's my Grumman Goose (SwAF designation Tp 81) in 1/72! I originally started this build for the “Medics Campaignâ€, but other matters got in the way. No chance of a ribbon post campus, eh? Please...

I used the kit from Sword, which was quite neat. Unfortunately, the Swedish decals that I used were not very good. Some scratch building has been done, in particular the ski suspension.

I had to contemplate for quite some time before I could figure out a way to accomplish the noticeable beacon on the roof. Finally, I realized that the LED from my VCR remote would do the trick just nicely! Who's watching video these days, anyhow!?

The figures are an unholy mix of Hasegawa pilots, CMK personnel etc. The kneeling person is actually wearing a "regular" outfit, but with some paint and some work, he looks quite the season! The skier is a cross between an Italeri "Italian mountain troops", a Schnellboot figure from CMK (sticks = needles).

The ambulance aircraft in northern Sweden used an all orange paint scheme so that they could be easily located in case of emergency landings etc. - especially during the wintertime. I used mainly Tamiya Acrylics. The orange (X-6) was muffled with a little brown and a tad of red.

Pre-shading was made with dark brown and I washed the panel lines with some water mixable oil paints from W&N. The antennas were made from 0.04 mm fly-fishing line and stretched sprue respectively. Small details such as handles etc are either from Model Art or made by wire.

Please post hints and comments! There are always some finishing touches to be made!

Cheers!

Finally, here's one of the photos that inspired me to do this diorama:

Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Nice diorama, could do with some footprints.

David
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hi Björn!

Glad to see the Goose made a nice trip from Indochina to cold Sweden! I also see it got new clothes...
This is a very cool (cold) dio and you captured well the winter atmosphere. The plane looks great too. Compared to the French ones, seems the Swedish personal was short of white and red paint for the red crosses! :-)
To make things perfect you just have to figure out how to simulate cold air coming out of the figures!

Jean-Luc
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 03:50 AM UTC
Looks great and great write up to go with it.
Leon
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 04:27 AM UTC
Looks great Bjorn, it looks and feels very cold.
The only thing i would change is to paint or varnish the wood frame a darker colour, so the snow sticks out more.
Andy (++)
cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 06:07 AM UTC
Nice build! Looks to me like it is worth getting up to change the channel.

Chuck
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 04:31 PM UTC
Hi Polar Bear,
Very nice little dio youve got there.
Unusual subject and paint scheme certainly makes it stand out.
The figures look great,even more so when i noticed it was in 1/72!
Sorry to hear about the demise of your PRU Spit!,,still look on the bright side,it gives you the perfect excuse to build another one! When Ive finished my FW190 Im going to have a go at my pink Spit.
Congratulations on a fine build.
The only comments I could make would be adding some footprints and painting the border of the base which have already been mentioned.
I wonder what other uses you can put the remains of the video to??? :-)
Nige
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Monday, March 06, 2006 - 10:59 PM UTC
Great job PolarBear!
I love the color! The dio is also nicely done. I'd like to do something colorful like that in the future to liven up my display shelf.

Congradulations
Hermon
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 07:04 PM UTC
Thanks for all your comments, guys! It sure was a fun build, even though it seemed jinx'd for a while. I have never lost so many parts to the carpet monster before! I have had to scratch build more parts than you think!

Both TigerCat and Lampie have asked for more footprints. I will obide!!! I made a lot of footprints in the base but they disappeared when I added the last coat of snow (a mix of white paint and lots of baking soda). - I will also add traces of snow on the side of the skis. (I'll try to post some more pictures later).

Jean-Luc - What can I say? Apart from changing colour it shrunk to 1/72!, grew skis and was granted a safe haven in Laponia!

I would really love to see more versions of this beautiful aircraft. Even though only 345 Geese were built, it has served in so many airforces! How about an American, Cuban, Canadian, Japaneese or a Bangladeshi one?! Here are some really nice profiles that may serve as an inspiration for the rest of you!

Now we've seen one on land and one on snow. What we really need is one bobbing in the ocean!

There are also some really stunning paint schemes for those who build civilian aircraft, see for example here!

Jean-Luc wrote
Quoted Text

To make things perfect you just have to figure out how to simulate cold air coming out of the figures!

Cold air!?! What do they teach the French these days?

Cheers!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 07:17 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Jean-Luc wrote
Quoted Text

Cold air!?! What do they teach the French these days?

Cheers!

Hi Björn!

Of course I meant warm air coming out... and getting cold...

Jean-Luc
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 08:09 PM UTC
That's a great link PolarBear, Thanks!
I fell in love with that Yellow Goose with the purple markings. Does anyone know of a Goose kit in 1/48 scale in current production and where I could get my hands on one?

Thanks,
Hermon
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a great link PolarBear, Thanks!
I fell in love with that Yellow Goose with the purple markings. Does anyone know of a Goose kit in 1/48 scale in current production and where I could get my hands on one?

Thanks,
Hermon

Hi Hermon!

Try here: French rescue Goose feature and Signifer 1/48 Goose Review
If you click on the Signifer logo (review), you will be forwarded to their web site. The Goose kit is on sale at the moment I think.

Jean-Luc
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC
Hermon wrote:

Quoted Text

You're in luck, Hermon! Your love may be answered!

I found decals for the yellow one at Draw decals!!

There is also a 1/48 Goose from Czech Models;

The Signifier kit is supposed to be really extraordinary, though!

Wouldn't it be nice if this turned into a Goose relay!

Jean-Luc wrote:

Quoted Text

Of course I meant warm air coming out... and getting cold...

Why, that would certainly be no problem to build...

Cheers!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hey thanks for those links Jean-Luc and PolarBear.
That Czech Model kit is listed in my Squadron catalogue now that you mention it. There is only one problem now. The link to "DRAW Decals" has too many awsome decal kits to choose from.

By the way, does anyone have a credit card I could borrow for a minute?

Hermon
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:26 AM UTC
That is pretty cool. I like it, it's a bit on the different.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 01:34 AM UTC
Another great Goose, love it. 2 geese in a short time and both great looking models. I do like the orange as it certainly stands out. I will definately have to get me a goose. Thanks for the link to the profiles, but I'm really stuck for a scheme now
Mal
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:00 PM UTC
Here's a site with loads of info and pictures of the real aircraft. http://www.grummangoose.com/

This picture might serve as inspiration for a future diorama?

Who will pick up the baton!?

Cheers!
 _GOTOTOP