_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
paint removal from canopies
mallory
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:12 AM UTC
hi all i am in need of advice as to removing paint from canopies has anybody ever used brake fluide or oven cleaner on canopies and does it craze the plastic havn"t any old spare to test any advice before i embark many thanks
Darson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 08:30 AM UTC
I use "Goo Gone" to clear gunge off my canopies after removing the masking and found out the hard way that this stuff also removes paint really nicely.

You should be able to locate it at your local hardware store so give it a whirl.

Oh btw, to stop Goo Gone from removing your paint job accidentally, spray the canopy with Testors clear flat before removing the masking.

Cheers
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 11:58 AM UTC
Another way to remove paint from your kits without destroying the plastic or hazing the clear parts, it’s using a product called Simple Green or Castrol’ Super Clean. You can find this stuff at just about any auto parts stores. It’s safe, non-toxic and has a minty smell. It will remove just about all paints, I’ve tried it, and with good results. I’ve been using it for years. Also your able to remove paints that’s been on for years. Merlin (our staff aircraft editor) proved it in a article here. Oh yeah, it also removes chrome from plastic. The best way I found to use was to let it soak, at time it only took 30 mins. to dissolve. And I use an old tooth brush to aid in getting in the nooks and crannies.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi Mallory.
Heres a link to a post that Merlin put up.
You should be able to get this stuff at Halfords or any Motor Factors/Car Accessories.
As you can see,there was more than just a few bits of paint on this canopy!
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/62404&page=1
Let us know how you get on
Nige
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, March 13, 2006 - 06:18 PM UTC
Sometimes a flat toothpick rubbing carefully will do the trick for slight mistakes
mallory
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 7 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:37 AM UTC
thank you every one for taking the time and trouble to answer i think i will try the castrol many thanks. its eduard X-1 that i missed up
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 07:24 AM UTC
For that I use to rub carefully with a cottonette with WD 40. Then wash the canopy with water and detergent.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:26 AM UTC

Quoted Text

i think i will try the castrol...

Hi Mallory

Let us know if you find a UK source, because it sounds great stuff! I couldn't track it done, but the Swarfega Oil & Grease Remover seems a good substitute.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP