_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Sweet Revenge Folgore
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:31 AM UTC
Hi guys,
This is my latest finished kit. It is Hasegawas Macchi C.202 Folgore in 1/48 scale. I've been working on and off for about 3 months on this kit and as you see it now it is wearing it's 3rd, yes 3rd paint job. The kit itself was lots of fun to build (yes, I know I said some harsh things about Hasegawa the other day ) however this was the first time I had ever attempted a free hand ABing job. The camo scheme is still not exactly what it should be but I'm happy to be done with it.
This was a complete OOB build done with Tamiya acrylics. A light wash of burnt umber and black was applied and finished off with several coats of Poly Scale flat coat. The white band on the fuselage was painted on.....because I screwed up the kit decal. I call this plane "sweet revenge" because after the fight it put up for 3 months I finally finished it up and I still remain unbeaten by any kit in my stash.....except the Vindicator I kicked across the basement floor. :-)

Here are some pic's. Enjoy and as always feel free to pick it apart.
Thanks,
Hermon

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:34 AM UTC
Sorry about the size of the pictures guys. I must have muffed something up somewhere durring the download.

Hermon
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 04:09 PM UTC
Well done on the freehand airbrushing, there is a slight overspray in places but nothing to worry about ( still better than i could do though LOL )and it does look very effective.
Was this plane copied from a BF 109 as they do look very similar.
The white band looks better sprayed then a decal. There seems to be a decal gremlin going around at the moment as i too buggered up the decals on my Spitfire :-) .
Good work and keep them coming.
Andy (++)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 05:39 PM UTC
Hi Hermon!

Another step forward! Your models are looking better and better each time. You even painted the camouflage around the leading edges of the wings, like the real thing! The panel lines work is also very well done! Way to go...
One question though: wasn't the Mc 202 fitted with an aerial wire?

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Hermon.
Nice job there! Your display shelf has certainly got some variety to it
When you say your Foglore had 3 paint jobs,was that the whole camo scheme or just the green "mottle"?
Andy

Quoted Text

Was this plane copied from a BF 109 as they do look very similar.

Undercarriage and wings look pretty similar in basic design to a Hurricane to me.Be interesting to know where the design of this plane actually came from.

Jean-Luc

Quoted Text

One question though: wasn't the Mc 202 fitted with an aerial wire?

I was thinking that as well

Well done Hermon.Whats next ??
Nige
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Be interesting to know where the design of this plane actually came from.

Hi all!

The MC 202 was basically a MC 200 fitted with a DB 601 engine (same as Bf 109, later produced under licence by the Italian). Below is a picture of a MC 200. It's the boxart of Special Hobby's 1/48 kit. Nice camouflage isn't it!

Jean-Luc
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC
Hi Lampie

The mc202 was developed from the mc200 Saetta using the same wings and control system allied to a new fuselage and fitted with a Db 601 inline engine.as opposed to the Saetta`s radial.A feature of these aircraft was that one wing was longer in span than the other to counter the engine torque.It was better than the Hurricane and could hold it`s own against a Spitfire but was seriously under armed.An American pilot who tested one summed it up nicely as heclimbed out of the aircraft his only comment being "Gee thats one honey of an airplane".
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:01 PM UTC
Looks great Hermon. I like the camo job. I'm sure the 3 trials were frustrating, but think of all you learned throught the process and like you say, in the end you won!

How did the canopy open on it? Sideways? I know that was common, but everything I have built slides back, so just curious.

Anyway, looks good. As for the antennae, did the spitfire gallery with the lesson ever come back online?

Hope all is well.
Leon
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:46 AM UTC
Nice one Hermon good go at the tricky camo, now try a smoke ring scheme:)

My number 1 favorite single engined aircraft together with its developement the Mc.205.

The German pilots who flew the Macchi all loved the handling, there only problem was as with all Italian fighters the armament or lack of.

Ciao
Luciano
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:21 AM UTC
Nice job Hermon!

The '202 has always been one of my favourites!

Quoted Text

now try a smoke ring scheme:)

Careful, Luciano... at the rate Hermon's going, he'll have that under his belt by this time next week!

All the best

Rowan
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 06:54 AM UTC
Hi guys, and thanks for all the replies. I'll answer your questions in order.

Jean-Luc, if you mention "aerial wire" to me one more time I'm going to fly to France and stick my foot in your...........ear. :-) No, seriously the only decent reference pictures I could find do not have fine details to show an aerial wire. If the 202 had one that you know of I'll put one on her.

Nigel, when I say 3 paint jobs I mean I painted and striped the entire plane 3 times. This was one tricky paint job for me. What's next? Either a FW-190 or a French Bloch MB155 that just arived in the mail today.

Leon, not sure how the canopy opens. The directions don't allow for an open cockpit and there is no provision in the top of the canopy for it to slide back without hitting the aerial mast. Nope, I haven't seen the antenna lesson yet.

Luciano, after placing this 202 on the shelf next to my other finished builds I really have to agree with you. This is a beautiful aircraft. The lines are very sexy and just seem to scream "fly me...fly me". The smoke ring camo was the other scheme offered in this kit but I didn't and don't feel that my ABing skills are quite up to par for that kind of attempt yet.

Rowan, thanks for the compliment.
I'm going to have to slow down for a while since spring is almost upon us here and my work is starting to pick up drastically.

Ok, Lampie (NIgel) made the comment a while back that I was building my very own RAF (Rector Air Force) so for those of you keeping count I now have at least one finished WWII fighter from America, Brittan, Soviet Union, Italy. All I need now is a German, French, and Japanese and I'll be pretty much done with my goal for the year.

Thanks for looking
Hermonm:-)

_GOTOTOP