_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
What have I gone and done now!?!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:23 PM UTC
Well,,,,
I thought Id have a quick look on Ebay while Ive got 5 minutes.
Yes,,I know I build in 1/72 because of space issues etc,,but I just couldnt resist the Airfix Spitfire Mk1,,,on a "buy it now" at well under half price,,just 1 hour after it had been listed.
Hmmm,,,,scale,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, 1/24!!!!!!!!

Have I finally flipped??
When can I expect the men in white coats to come for me?

On a slightly serious note,,has anyone built this,,what can I expect to find when it arrives,,(apart from one enormous Spitfire!),,and where am I going to put it when its finished???

Im going to have a lie down now and think about what Ive done

Nige
garyj36
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 163 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:32 PM UTC
See, thats why you were building in that small scale. To make room for that giant spitfire you always subconsiously wanted!
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:55 PM UTC
I haven't built it (seen it build, but haven't built it). It is just so tempting to get one of those- think about all of the detailing you will be able to add. The potential is just limitless... And as for the afterthoughts - I always have that feeling after visiting / bidding at ebay - it is just so hard to not click bid / buy it now... Think not that it will take up too much room, but that it will be a great centerpiece to your collection

Good purchase
Leon
Henk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,391 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 10:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I thought Id have a quick look on Ebay while Ive got 5 minutes

Right up there with ' I'm just nipping out for a swift half..' :-) :-)

For non-British listeners, 'A Swift Half' is an Imperial measure equal to 6 Imperial Pints..

Cheers
Henk
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:04 PM UTC
I've done similar things. I normally build 1/72 scale armor, 1/35 armor and 1/48 scale armor. One day I had an infamous 40% off any one item coupon for the Hobby Lobby store. As I browsed the aisle I saw the 1/72 scale Revell U-boat in a box the size of a small coffin. Needless to say, I walked away with that large kit at almost half price. Why? Don't know, but it was 1/72 scale.
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
:-) :-) :-) :-) :-) Welcome to the world of internet shopping, buying stuff you wouldn't look at in a shop.
As for somewhere to put it, it will fit over the top of your 1/72 aircraft, and make a good dust protector for them.
Will this be your 24 hour build aircraft :-) :-) . Dare you to put German markings on it :-) .
How big does this thing build up to as i have been thinking of getting a 1/24 kit myself ( probably a Zero ).
Andy (++)
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:10 PM UTC
Nigil - Now you'll have one big Momma for all your little Chicks :-) I build primarily 1/72 also but every now and again I'm tempted by one of the larger scales, thank goodness never 1/24 :-) :-)
DaveCox
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
AeroScale: 272 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
Built it several years ago - before I started worrying about adding detail. Straight from the box it's a good model - certainly has everything a Spit should have. You could spend years adding to it if you wanted to though.

By the way - it really isn't that big - plenty of space on top of my fitted wardrobes for one of these, a 1/24 FW190; 1/48 Liberator, B17 and Lancaster; and a 1/32 F16 - ( in an 8ft x 3ft space!)
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 - 11:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

By the way - it really isn't that big - plenty of space on top of my fitted wardrobes for one of these, a 1/24 FW190; 1/48 Liberator, B17 and Lancaster; and a 1/32 F16 - ( in an 8ft x 3ft space!)

Dave, thats not a wardrobe thats a shed :-) :-) .
Andy (++)
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 12:13 AM UTC
its funny you should post this, just last week my mum and dad "insisted" i should take away three boxes of my old models from their house, in one was a heller 1/24 FW 190 that i never finished, would look nice if i did, but its MASSIVE! in the loft at my mums are about 60 odd built kits including the 1/24 spitfire and 109. the spit goes together really nice, i had not long started back modelling when i built it, and managed a pretty nice job despite being a bit of a beginner at the time. one thing to maybe watch out for is the upper wing gun covers on mine didnt fit too cleverly, a little shaving to fit should cure this
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC
A nice kit Nige, I've built 2, the second was as a presentation piece for the Sergeant’s mess at RAF Wildenrath (19 and 92 Sqn's, Germany) I often wonder what happened to it, as I would be embarresed to see it now
If I was to do another I would have to super detail it as, although it builds into a nice kit, the detail is lacking for such a big scale. I know where you could find a home if you decide that you don't have the space
"You can't have too many Spitfires"
Mal
jlmurc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 02:20 AM UTC
I built this one many, many moons ago, at least 25 years and yes its big, it looked nice when done, having got over a few warped bits, but you will have a lovely spitfire to build during its anniversary year. Now if only I could get a harrier again for the same price..........

Have fun and enjoy yourself and who knows you might gare to put a motor in to spin the prop.

John
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
Hi Nigel

Wow! - I built this beauty when it first came out! I remember they even showed it on Blue Peter!

I share your misgivings... I bought the Revell (ex Hasegawa) 1/32 Mk 1 the other day... crazy price... too good to miss! When will I ever learn!

But it is Spitfire Anniversary time!

All the best

Rowan
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 04:36 AM UTC
Hi all.
You know what,,,I cant wait to get stuck into this mother of all Spits!
Its certainly going to be a HUGE amount of fun building this,and maybe,,,just maybe,,it'll squeeze into my display cabinet.But if it doesnt,,well,,I'll just have to buy a bigger one wont I? :-)
I can see it being a long build.Im thinking along the lines of say,build the cockpit,,build a 1/72,build the engine etc. Its definately not a candidate for a 12 hour build,,hahaha.
Ebay is where over 60% of my stash has come from,and its certainly worth looking out for bargains like this one.40% of the rrp and brand new/sealed.
Unless I win the lottery over the next few months its not going to be the start of moving up to larger scale kits.I'll stick to my baby 1/72 for now.
One things for sure though,,as Leon said,it will be a nice centrepiece for the collection.
Not decided if Im going to attempt to super detail it,but I will see to what level the kit detail is and decide from there.I get the feeling though,that once I start adding a few pipes here and there,this could turn into a major project.It will certainly give me a good excuse to visit Cosford again and have a good look round their MK1.
Right,,back to my latest 1/72 project.which funnily enough is another of R J Mitchells finest! I wonder what the great man would have had to say about his masterpiece being painted pink?
All together now,,,,"you cant have too many Spitfires",,unless of course,,they are painted grey with black crosses on the wings eh Mal?
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 15, 2006 - 07:09 AM UTC
Congradulations on your new toy Nig!
As great as your 1/72 builds look, I can't wait to see the details you add to this big monster.

I've noticed that the guys who build 1/24 kits are not married. Some day, when my wife divorces me I'm going to get that 1/24 AVG P-40 Tiger kit from Vintage that I've been lusting after.

Hermon
Blackwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 215 posts
AeroScale: 120 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 28, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
EBAY has killed my thought process also--bought a 1/35 leopold at a great price plus (2) 1/35 Karl Morsers. I think I'm beating the system until the huge box arrives at my door. Pretty sure I have pissed the Postal Carrier off...bought a bullet proof vest in case she is a good shot. (You know--the whole going "POSTAL" thing............
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 01:52 AM UTC
Hi Nigel.
Take care, the men with the white coats are always around us :-) :-) :-)
Is this your second Airfix Spit in 1/24 ? I remember a post where you told that you just have received one.
The kit is a nice kit. I didn´t build one of those but I knew through references of other people that is a good kit.

Enjoy it
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 29, 2006 - 04:14 PM UTC
Hi Carlos.
I have definately only got one 1/24 Spitfire,, :-)
 _GOTOTOP