_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Hasegawa F/A-18F as good as done
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 07:18 AM UTC
So anyway here is the 99.9% done model. The only thing left is attaching the canopy, so I am calling it done.

The JDAMs are from Hasegawa's hard to acquire weapon set D.

Comments and critiques encouraged.

Jeff
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 08:40 AM UTC
Looks good Jeff, really good. I see a minor issue with the masking in a place or two........mainly because this is one of my weak points so I can spot it easily.
It's hard to hide tiny imperfections without a camo paint scheme as I'm finding out on the F-16 I've just started.
Is this the 1/48 scale bird? If so it's the same kit I almost bought last weekend at my LHS. Are there any unforseen issues with fit or finish that I should look out for on this kit?

Again, nice job.
Hermon
USArmy2534
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 2,716 posts
AeroScale: 246 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:07 AM UTC
Thanks. My masking is also a weak spot even though I'm using painters masking tape...go figure.

Anyway the kit is a B+. It was a joy to build but adding the sub assemblies of the side intakes, nose fuselage and upper and lower fuselage together within two steps requires much dryfitting. This is one of the few times that following the instructions to the letter is required. Your reward will be gaps, but disregarding them results in holes and parts that won't fit. Also I couldn't get the pilots to fit in the cockpit which is a shame as they can have the new "J-something" helmets.

My understanding is that Hasegawa's E and F variants are 95% identical so that is awesome. But that also means armament is basic (though a step up from the Tomcat): 2 AMRAAMs, 2 AIM-9X (a first I think), one ATFLIR (which for the life of me I couldn't get to fit so I left it off), and five fuel tanks.

Hope that helps and if you need anything left me know. BTW which unit on the decals are you planning on using?

Jeff
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 10:44 AM UTC
Wow Jeff,
Your F/A18 turned out really nice, like the weathering and panel lines. It turned out pretty well using a brush…good job.

Two tips,
One: when masking, I like to paint a thin light coat of clear (most times Future, dries fast) over the tape. Then paint on the color. Doing this will stop the paints from bleeding under the tape. Just before you remove the tape, use your hobby knife and lightly score at the tapes edge. This will leave a nice straight paint line. This works well for those most delicate places.

Two: when painting the red on the landing gear doors edges, I like to use a red Sharpie marker. Don’t use the tip, just run the side of it along the edge. Again almost near straight lines.

Joe
 _GOTOTOP