_GOTOBOTTOM
Modern (1975-today)
Discuss the modern aircraft age from 1975 thru today.
BEN kits?
werwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, March 17, 2006 - 11:00 PM UTC
Hello all,
I'm considering purchasing a few of these kits in 1/100 scale, anyone know what the quality is like?
Tommy_Guns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 01:41 AM UTC
As the title, BEN kits??? is BEN a manufacturer?-if so then I can't help you with it however in regards to 1/100 kits-I do have the Tamiya Me-262 and Komet combo. I like it. Have not gotten around to put them together yet however the quality is very nice-interior detail is virtually non existant so if you are looking to superdetail it-lots of scratching to be done (however in this scale it could be done and as long as you are not bent on making every single wire and dial present it would not be a tremendous task), the panel lines are all scribed (.... unless my mind fails me-kits not in front of me right now. One thing I can say is that I have cleaned up all the parts and did a dry fit test-everything seems to fall in place like the usual Tamiya kit.

I would recommend it-it can be a fun quick build.

PS I cant remember if the kit comes with any landing gears and I do not belive they do however there is a in flight stand that incorporates both machines in flight at once.
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 02:13 AM UTC
Hi David

The only review I've ever seen for Ben 1/100 scale kits is for a F-15 Eagle kit over on Modelling Madness. The reviewer states that many of Ben's kits are reboxing of Tamiya kits although they have done a couple of their own. Apparently the quality is pretty good. good
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2006 - 02:41 AM UTC
Hi Werwulf,

I have many 1/100 Kits. BEN's are the old Tamiya molds, and may be a few of their own, and some from other manufacturers.

These molds have been passed around. Revell distributed them, I think Takara did / does, too. Hobbycraft puts out the F-86 / MiG-15 set (very nice models). There is a 1/100 F-8 Crusader, F-100 Super Sabre and a Kfir out there too. I have them (unbuilt) and they look excellent, even with 1/100 ground crew!

Tamiya started putting these out in the early 70s. The quality runs to extremes. Here are some of mine:

F-104G
MiG-19

ME-163 & ME-262

Saab Draken Tamiya 1/100

I am building the UH-1 (nice!) and soon to start the Viggen. I have a BEN F-4E and F-15. These, too, have nice molding and more detail than the Tamiya kits.

Only the F-86/MiG-15 & ME-163/ME-262 have pilots, though.
werwulf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 24 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 10:44 PM UTC
Thanks for the help!
 _GOTOTOP