_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
pre shading advice.is this enough?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi all.
A bit of advice please.
This is my latest project as it stands.It doesnt show up very well on the photo Im afraid.The preshading is actually a bit more prominent than the photo shows.
I think it needs another coat but should I make this a thin overall coat or should I concentrate on the preshading lines? I dont want to wipe out the effect but Im not sure where the "happy medium" is.
Any comments more than welcome.
Thanks.
Nige.
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi Nigel,

Great to see your pink Spitfire on the way. I did'nt find the time to start a new blue one yet, but I'll try to squize one in later this year.

Regarding the preshading - It's always tough to judge by a picture. It does look pretty ok, though. The paint appears to be a little on the thick side, but that just might be the reflections that makes it look that way.

My advise is to stick with the current layers and see what happens once you get the decals, the panellines, the wheathering and the final coat (satin?) on. By then, the preshading will probably be "barely noticable".

I also think it might be better if you get too much effect instead of too little, given that it is your first try and that you wish to learn for future builds.

I'm looking forward to see the finished Spit!

Cheers!

Ps. I spent Friday night at the Spitfire pub in Stockholm. Not a bad place to be...
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
Hi Polar Bear.
Thanks for your comments.
The paint isnt thick at all,,its still wet and the reflection doesnt help either. Its drying nicely and I will review it in an hour or so.
As I always say,,"better to be looking at it than for it"
The Spitfire pub eh?
I will have to look out for that next time I get a day off in Stockholm. Im normally straight in and out of The Globe!
Nige
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 04:43 AM UTC
While we're on the subject,,

Quoted Text

My advise is to stick with the current layers and see what happens once you get the decals, the panellines, the wheathering and the final coat (satin?) on. By then, the preshading will probably be "barely noticable".

What would be a good colour to do an oil wash on a Spit this colour ?
And would a satin finish be the right one or should I go for the usual matt?
This project had been a real "challenge",,(pain in the posterior to be presise). It good to see it finally getting somewhere,but Im sure it still holds many more surprises!
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2006 - 07:43 AM UTC
It's a bit hard to tell from that photo really. The pre-shading on the wings looks good and I can just pick up a hint of shading on the fuselage as well.
One thing though.....
I believe your paint has gone bad in the tin. From where I'm sitting it looks rather pink. :-) Must remember Nigel, you have to shake the tin of paint and mix thoroughly before use.

but BTW, I picked up a great WWII in color book of U.S. planes this weekend and there are quite a few pictures in it of trainers. I can't rememer what kind of plane you said your Dad flew so if you'll refresh my memory I'll see if there are any pic's in my book that you could use for a reference.

Hermon
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi Nige,
To be truthful it's impossible to tell from one pic and only you know how close the pic is to viewing this wonderful pink Spitfire in the flesh. So based on what I see in the pic (this is only my opinion of course) I would say that the effect is not quite subtle enough. I would guess that you have reached the point where in some areas you don't need to cover anymore and in others you just need a little more. Going by the picture the area of the Starboard wing, just below the cannon blister looks better than the shading alongside the blister, which looks too red. Again in my opinion, pre-shading should only just be decernable, a suggestion of a slightly darker area, where in some areas it is lost, (because it will be all but impossible or even desirable to have even pre-shading). The effect should be noticeable only when light falls on an area and probably from a certain angle, otherwise you get what might be termed "a patchwork quilt effect" which is not very realistic at all.
My reason for pre-shading is to make the colours a little more interesting and to add to the overall weathering effects. You wont find pre-shading on real aircraft, niether will you find panel lines washed with oil paint, or any paint for that matter but, again only my opinion, I prefer the look of these effects when done well (the only contradiction to this is Bill Lachance's models ) and of course each to their own
Mal
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:22 AM UTC
Since Nigel just opened the door to the theory behind this technique, another problem happens when decals are applied. The effect diapppears completely. The panel has an accent, then it doesn't, then it does again. Sounds like that old song by Donovan..."First there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is." :-)
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 01:30 AM UTC
Hi all.
Thanks for the advice.
I added a bit more paint in some areas and Ive sprayed the underside today and Im happy Ive got a "subtle" effect which just breaks up the single colour and gives the whole surface a bit of depth.
Still got a bit of a way to go on the Spit and I'll post some pics for the usual advice and constructive critisism when its finished.
Its certainly coming together and its going to make a nice colourfull addition to the collection.
Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 04:46 AM UTC
Hi Nigel:

As everybody said, its very hard to judge the preshading through a pic, but I think it´s looking good.
If you´re not sure and you believe that it´s very noticeable you can try with a very, very thin of a more diluted coat of paint so you will get a soft cover effect.
As Polarbear said, after the decals, general weathering
and coating the result will be diferent as what you´re seeing now.
You´re Spit is looking great. What scale and brand is it ?
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 05:06 AM UTC
Hi Carlos.
Its the Special Hobby MkX in 1/72.
I think its the only mk X available in that scale,but hey,,they only made 16 of the real thing if my research is correct
 _GOTOTOP