_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Airfix Spitfire 1/24
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 12:15 AM UTC
Well,,,the beast has arrived!
Thankfully the postie didnt try and cram it through the letterbox.
It really is huge..Good job I didnt get a Lancaster in this scale :-)
Ive been searching the net over the weekend and I cant find a single aftermarket set for this Spit,which I find surprising with it being such a popular subject and having been on the market for so long.Does anyone know of anything available?
I also noticed that the same seller had another 3 of these which went onto Ebay at the same time and price.All 3 went within 2 days,,what a surprise
Did any of these go to members of the Big A?
Not sure when Im going to get around to making a start on this.Im very tempted to make some attempt at extra detailing.Looks like a trip to Cosford could be on the cards to do a walkround of their Mk1 and get some close up shots of a Merlin,,(not you Rowan :-) )
Off to continue with a lot smaller Spitfire,,If I can find a way round the box for this one :-) :-)
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
never mind aftermarket parts nigel, you need to sort out a two foot wide shelf :-)
on a serious note i maybe would'nt worry about a/m stuff for this kit, the cockpit and engine are already there and i'm sure you could lift the kit with only good references and minor scratchbuilding. this might even be the reason there is no a/m available, because the kit has a lot in the box to start with. have you checked out the engine covers btw? they have little spikes that fit into holes in the fusalage frames so you can display them on or off
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 03:31 AM UTC
Hi Phil.
Ive opened it up and had a good drool over the parts!
It really is a monster kit.
Nice bit of forward planning on Airfixs part that you can put the engine panels on and off
Definately going to scratch build a Sutton harness for it as the seatbelts are part of the pilot mould.Thats going to be a challenge in itself.
Looks like its going to fit on top of the display cabinet but Id really like it to be covered up instead of gathering dust.If the worst comes to the worst I'll keep in a box (large,,haha),for protection and just bring it out for special occasions and visits to model shows etc.
Nige
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 03:47 AM UTC
good point about the dust, theres a lot of wing area there! as well as the engine panels being removeable, the undercarrige will retract, and i'm sure the canopy can slide open and shut and the door opens, lots of stuff to play with!
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 03:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

as well as the engine panels being removeable, the undercarrige will retract, and i'm sure the canopy can slide open and shut and the door opens, lots of stuff to play with!

Phil, you make it sound like a toy :-) . I can just picture Nige taking off, landing, recreating the BOB in the front room and doing engine maintenance on his Spit now :-) .
On a serious note, you could build a perspex case to go over the top of it .
Andy (++)
Murdo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,218 posts
AeroScale: 211 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 04:09 AM UTC
If you think the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire is big, take a look at the Airfix 1/24 Stuka!
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi guys.

Quoted Text

I can just picture Nige taking off, landing, recreating the BOB in the front room and doing engine maintenance on his Spit now .

hahaha,,your not that far off the truth actually guys.
After a very kind offer from my dad,I will shortly be taking to the skies in a Harvard! I'll be taking my dads log book along to get the flight entered.
Father and sons Harvard flights,61 years apart:)
I shall be dissapointed if I dont find myself hanging upside down in the harness at least once!
"Tally Ho Velvet Leader!,,,Bandits,,swarms of them!"
:-)
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 04:34 AM UTC
Hi Nigel:

Thatīs really a big one. Whatīs the size ? Is it a Mk Ia or a Mk Vb ?
I like big kits but I donīt have room in my shelf for that size.
I believe that the kit has good details so maybe AM items will not be so necesary. Here you have some related articles:

http://www.fortunecity.com/meltingpot/portland/971/Inbox/q-s/spit-1a_24-i.htm

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5/4401-4500/gal4442_Spitfire_Brown/gal4442.htm

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5/4101-4200/gal4136_Spitfire_Hevesi/gal4136.htm

Enjoy it

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 04:54 AM UTC
Hi all.
Thanks for the links Carlos,I will check them out.
I bet the Stuka is immense,lol,,,no match for a Mk1 Spit though

Quoted Text

Thatīs really a big one. Whatīs the size ? Is it a Mk Ia or a Mk Vb ?

This is my MkX in 1/72 for a size comparrison

Its the MK1A

Happy Days
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 03:29 PM UTC
I envy you Nige, I must get one of these soon. I still have the original base, that was made in the workshop at RAF Wildenrath, for the presentation Spitfire Mk I that I built for the Sgts mess. They then made me a better one with a loverly glass and wood frame cover, so I kept the original. The model looked awsome in the case, although I'd blush if I ever re-discovered it The base I have measures 560mm x 460mm, it's big
Mal
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:17 PM UTC
i have both this spitfire and the 1/24 109 up in my mums loft, and i recently fetched back 3 boxes of old models including a never finished 1/24 heller FW190 that my other half doesnt know have come back! i had no choice my parents were talking about throwing them out! blasphemy! btw i took some nice close up pics of a merlin at newark air museum last year nigel, only one side though, enjoy!

csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:10 AM UTC
I guess the pic of the Merlin is of a Mk IX, VII or VIII, or a Moosie ?. It has 6 exhausts in each side.
jlmurc
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,267 posts
AeroScale: 49 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:16 AM UTC
NIgel,
As they have been re-released at a ridiculously high price, I called into my local shop and had a look as they have the Stuka. The wingspan is stated as 56 cms. Now I'd need a new lounge for that.

John
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 05:48 PM UTC
Hi All.
Cheers for the photos Phil. Looks like Im going to have buy a roll of copper wire,,,OH,,so many pipes,,,lol.
As for the Stuka,,I reckon the best display cabinet for that beast would be a walk in one,,a garden shed for example.
Like to see Matrixone build a hanger for that
Nige
All this talk of finding places to display something this size is reminding me of the Colditz glider story
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 01:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

All this talk of finding places to display something this size is reminding me of the Colditz glider story

airfix did make a flying model of that............
:-)
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I cant find a single aftermarket set for this Spit

Hi Nigel, if you check out Model Design Construction website they have some accessories for the 1/24 spitfire. Here's some links:

Sutton Harness
Cockpit controls
Seat with mounting
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:25 AM UTC
Hi Martin.
They are great links,,thanks very much.
That Sutton harness looks the business,and even better,they are just up the road from my folks.
I shall be contacting them very soon and spending some more money
Nige
 _GOTOTOP