Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 hasegawa 'cat mouth' hellcat
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:49 AM UTC
Here is my 'cat mouth' hellcat built for the show your teeth campaign.

OK, This is quite honestly not my greatest work ever. If you spend any time really looking at the pictures you can find multiple flaws (ill-spaced guns, wrinkled decals, wrong cat mouth decals for -5, etc to name a few). In short pretty much everything that could go poorly did, and I got to the point of not wanting to take any time fixing it. I did try rescribing and did pretty well on the wings. The fuselage was a disaster though. Oh well. Someday I will pull out a new hasegawa 1/72 hellcat (it is actually a pretty nice kit) and try again with more patience...

Anyway, here are the pictures. Let me know what you think. I would love to hear your thoughts on the exhaust especially. Also, if you see any technique things I would love to hear that as I am always trying to improve. Nothing will hurt my feelings...

Leon
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 11:37 AM UTC
Hi Leon!

You are very rude to yourself!

Frankly, I can't see all the flaws you mention on the pictures, so I will say you are a good photographer! :-)
Anyway, I think the model looks good on the photos and the exhaust stains are convincing to me. On the bad side I would say the cockpit frames are too thick for my taste (but it's 1/72) and the structure on the tyres seems overdone for the scale (kit parts?)
In all, a very nice and welcome addition to the "Teeth" Campaign! Thank you very much Leon!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 07:21 PM UTC
Leon, you are too harsh on yourself, you are a good photographer though
Exhaust staining looks good, the only thing is that, on these aircraft it had a distinct arc, with the air flow over the wings. Another thing with exhaust stains, they tend to start a little way beyond the end of the pipe/s.

A tip for attaching guns and other sticky out things, try taping a match stick or cocktail stick to the wing first. Make sure it is at right angles to the wing leading edge or parallel to the fuselage, if the leading edge is tapered. This will then give you an easy, close, reference point for allignment.

The nav lights look good, how did you do them? I'm in the process of writing an article on them.

Mal
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2006 - 09:41 PM UTC

Quoted Text

wrong cat mouth decals for -5

Ok, you got me here. Since only the Hellcats flying off of the Princeton had the mouths, and then had to paint them over after she sank, were they only flying -3's?
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 03:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

On the bad side I would say the cockpit frames are too thick for my taste (but it's 1/72) and the structure on the tyres seems overdone for the scale (kit parts?)

I absolutely agree. The cockpit frames should be thinner - Darn . For the tires, they are kit. In trying to get the mold line off, I sanded away some detail, so I tried reputting on the tread with a mini saw blade. This was definately not the best tool for the job as it is way over scale. What do other's use for this task?

Quoted Text

Exhaust staining looks good, the only thing is that, on these aircraft it had a distinct arc, with the air flow over the wings. Another thing with exhaust stains, they tend to start a little way beyond the end of the pipe/s.

Thanks for the tips. After reading this, I looked more carefully at pictures and think I see what you are seeing. Thanks for pointing it out; I am planning another hellcat in the future and hope to improve on the staining on that one.

Quoted Text

A tip for attaching guns and other sticky out things, try taping a match stick or cocktail stick to the wing first. Make sure it is at right angles to the wing leading edge or parallel to the fuselage, if the leading edge is tapered. This will then give you an easy, close, reference point for allignment.

Great tip! Definately something I will do next time! So easy and helpful.

Quoted Text

The nav lights look good, how did you do them?

I painted them silver and then painted over that with the tamiya clear colors. I am becoming a fan of replacing lights with clear sprue but went with the quick, easy way this time. Glad to hear that it went off well .

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

wrong cat mouth decals for -5

Ok, you got me here. Since only the Hellcats flying off of the Princeton had the mouths, and then had to paint them over after she sank, were they only flying -3's?

Maybe I'm wrong in what I said. It is just I used the decals that were for the tri-color -3 scheme in the box. The -5 had cat mouth decals without black outlines and without bloodshot eyes.

Thanks again for the comments guys. I really appreciate it. While I am not super proud of this one, I am more or less happy and it lives on my display shelf - not the trash... .
Leon
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 04:58 AM UTC
Leon, if I should ever build a model that looks this bad, I will enter it in every contest I can. :-) :-) .

Mike

VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 09:16 AM UTC
Nice work Leon.
As far as your attempt at scribing goes, I can email ya some pic's of a real disaster. :-)
My son is building that exact same kit as we speak. Hope to have it finished up by the weekend.
One question. How come everytime I build a plane and don't add the antenna wire Jean-Luc screams at me.....but you didn't do yours and he didn't say a word? I'm gonna file a protest. :-)
Nah, great work. Looks fine to me all the way around.

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 08:34 PM UTC
Thanks Hermon and mj, I really appreciate it. And Hermon, it is quite easy - I have paid Jean-Luc .
Leon
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 08:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have paid Jean-Luc

:-)

Jean-Luc
Gloss
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:48 AM UTC
Leon,

I think you have done a great job here and you should be pleased.

In my mind, if a model looks the part, then job done! You have easily accomplished this.

I look forward to your next one.

Mark
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
Leon,
Looks great to me,,(or maybe its just the photography? :-) )
Hopefully one day I'll build something to that quality and think its not one of my better efforts
Looking forward to the next one
Nige
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 09:00 PM UTC
Thanks Arnold, Mark, and Nigel. I appreciate it. Toning down the 'cat' decals is a good idea.

Thanks again,
Leon
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 27, 2006 - 01:53 AM UTC
Sorry for the unnecessary post here, but I'm trying to see if I can figure out how to make thumbnails.

Thanks, Seems to work. When clicking on the picture it opens the bigger photo in another window...

:)
Leon
 _GOTOTOP