_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
your process of painting aircraft?
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 - 10:36 AM UTC
While finishing up my Spit for "SYT" I became frustrated with the end result of my paint job. It's just not smooth enough! I don't think I spent enough time prepping the surface for paint and the Future went on thick with slight orange peel. Mal talks about using white plastic primer and 0000 steel wool to smooth out the first coat. Some others thin their paint 70% and then "buff" to achieve an almost eggshell effect. So...what's your method?...thank's Nigel
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 06:39 AM UTC
Hi Nigel.
Ive only recently returned to hobby and most of the methods I use Ive learnt from this site.Im only just finishing my 4th model sprayed with a double action airbrush,(Badger 150) but heres what I do.
I spray a very fine layer of white primer,with the main intention of showing up any bad join marks which you never spot beforehand.( I find a lot )
Have to say I dont do anything to this before I spray the main colours.
The main coverage I do from very close (about 1 inch),with very thin layers.If it looks like it needs a bit more I do a fine spray from a bit further away.Im experimenting all the time with thinning paint,and I seem to be thinning it a bit more each time.At a very rough guess its about 60% paint 40% thinners at the moment.I use Humbrol enamels.
Before and after decalling I give the model at least 2 coats of Klear with a flat brush.Again these are thin coats and I go slowly to avoid air bubbles.I have never had a problem with an "orange peel" effect so Im guessing that your spraying?
After any oil washes I apply I give the whole model a light coating of Humbrol matt varnish from a rattlecan.Again I go as thinly as I can and spray from about a foot (30cm's) with wide passes of the can.Seems to be doing the trick as the last 2 models Ive finished I havent had any runs in the varnish.
As I said,Im quite new to all these methods but I hope this helps a bit.
Nige
bottlerocket
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 66 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 08:54 AM UTC
Nigel, thanks for sharing your methods. I guess it's all about trial and error. I've been experimenting with priming in silver so I can "chip" the paint later. It's hard to detect surface details with the metalic paint. I'll problably go to priming in white and adding silver pencil. I'll have try brushing Future/Klear or adjust my airbrush p.s.i./distance. Give me another 20 models or so and I'll nail down my methods...it's the journey right?
cheers, Nige
spongya
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
MODELGEEK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 2,365 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 - 10:12 AM UTC
The peeling can be caused by spraying paint on a not completely dry layer. (I know. I had it once. I almost cried.) Especially if you use enamels, you do have to wait at least two days between layers.
I prefer acryl paints. Easier to clean up, finer pigments, dry faster and not so toxic (although still dangerous if you don't use protection).
The only problem is their tendency to clog the gun -but some retarder can help it.
I'd suggest you give them a try.
 _GOTOTOP