_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Home Made PSP Runway Possible?
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:10 AM UTC
Would it be possible to make my own PSP or would I have to buy it from some place. And if I did have to buy it where could I get it from and how much would it cost me to do that. Thank you!

~chip
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:22 AM UTC
Hi Chip

Making it from scratch could be tricky, depending on your skill... What scale are you working in? Eduard do PSP bases in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales.

All the best

Rowan

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 11:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eduard do PSP bases in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales.

Hi all!

I have one of these eduard PSP bases (1/48) and I must say... I don't like them ! Sorry Rowan :-) !
I think they are too clean. Basically it's an even base with engraved PSP. Not realistic in my opinion, even with a good paint job. They are also hard to incorporate in a custom made diorama.
I would rather go for photoetched PSP plates as they work like the real ones (they clip together). You will have more work maybe, but the look will be way more realistic.
Verlinden do some but they are expensive. take a look at this diorama and DJ Parkins . Maybe this will give you an alternative. I plan myself to order some of the stuff there in the near future... so don't buy all the stock folks
By the way, did someone already ordered at DJ Parkins?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 01:17 PM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Eduard supply a small piece of their PSP with their CBI P-40 - I agree it's rather too clean and even as supplied, but it'll be interesting to see how it turns out if I ever get a chance to start the kit for "Sharkmouths"...

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

it'll be interesting to see how it turns out if I ever get a chance to start the kit for "Sharkmouths"...

Hi Rowan!

You have still two month to build it! If you don't, think of the cool looking ribbon you'll miss! :-)
How about a 24hrs build? Frank (Clanky44) even managed to finish a kit in 17hrs lately... all you have to do is drink a lot of coffee and throw some pepper in your eyes not to fall asleep in the middle of the night... Easy! No?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

all you have to do is drink a lot of coffee and throw some pepper in your eyes not to fall asleep in the middle of the night... Easy! No?

Hi Jean-Luc

How else do you think I get reviewing and editing done?... Just kidding!

All the best

Rowan
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry guy's, just curious, what exactly is PSP? In the dio it looks like some kind of portable runway is this correct??

Hi Roderick!

Yes you are correct! PSP stands for Perforated Steel Plates and were used to improve field based aerodromes.
I used to see a lot of them around where I live. They were used by farmers after the war for various things. but now you almost can't find them anymore...

Rowan! So that's your secret! :-) I'm sure you are not kidding!

Jean-Luc
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry guy's, just curious, what exactly is PSP? In the dio it looks like some kind of portable runway is this correct??

The Originals were AKA Marstin Mats Pics of various types:
http://www.calumetindustries.com/lmats.html
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
Posted: Friday, March 24, 2006 - 04:47 PM UTC
Ok! So it should be Pierced Steel Planking in fact! :-) Another thing I learned! Thanks Matt!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 03:02 AM UTC
This is one of the subjects I used to teach when I trained recruits. Yes the proper term is Pierced Steel Planking (note that in the pics the planks are upside down). They actually come in 10' and 5' lengths and the joints are staggered. You would start to lay the first row with a 10' length and start the next row with a 5'. You can see how the individual planks clip together, they were locked in position by spring clips, 3 per 10'plank, either end and the middle.
I have also played with the AM2 matting, in fact Stanley Airfield (Port Stanley Falkland Ilands) was extended using this equipment. It gradually shifted as the Hercs landed, so every so often the airfield was closed and we had to lift and re-lay it, in 12 hours, that was always something to look foeward to
Chip.

Quoted Text

Would it be possible to make my own PSP

The only efective scale way of producing PSP would be photo etching and that is expensive to buy. I would replicate SMT (Square Mesh Track), which is far simpler and was used for the same purpose. It was basically sheets of 3" square wire mesh (about 10 gauge) about 10' wide. Layed out and anchored with 2' long angle iron stakes, with bent over heads, along the edges and joins. Joints overlapped about 3'.
Another, is Somerfield Trackway, this came in rolls and was like chicken wire (only bigger holes) with anchour bars woven in. These bars had loops formed in the ends through which flat tie bars went. Matts could be linked side by side and overlapped end to end to form as big an area as you liked. Anchour pins, similar to those used on SMT were positioned along the tie bars, tensioning as well as anchouring.
The thing is with all these surfacing mediums (except the AM2) grass would grow up through them and, in the case of SMT and Somerfield trackway, mostly hide it. With PSP grass will grow through the holes and to some degree through the gaps at the joints.
Mal
Recon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,571 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Saturday, March 25, 2006 - 03:15 AM UTC
You can get it from VLS under the Winz label.
Recon
 _GOTOTOP