_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Home Made Invasion Stripes?
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:10 AM UTC
Is it possible to paint accurate stripes that look pretty good. If so, how far apart would the black and white ones be. Basically I need dimensions for a 1/48 scale Monogram Hawker Typhoon.

Thanks!
~Chip
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 03:24 AM UTC
FSM article ?
http://www.finescale.com/fsm/objects/pdf/paintingidstripes.pdf
DrDull
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 06:09 AM UTC
I was going to post the link to that same article. I'll only add that I'm a beginner, but I tried painting the stripes on a Monogram 1/48 P-47 instead of using the kit decals; it was a piece of cake and I'm really happy with how it turned out.

Good luck. Barry
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, March 31, 2006 - 01:13 PM UTC
Pianting the stripes is actually far easier than using the kit decals, I used the kit decals on my Typhoon article here and it was a pain, although it looks pretty good. getting the decals in the right place and on straight is the hardest part.
When painting on the stripes paint the white areas first, let dry. Mark off the positions of the black stripes, using a pair of dividers, lay thin strips of tape (Tamiya masking tape is the best for this) to these marks. The Mk 1 eyeball is remarkably accurate for getting these things straight. I lay the tape on one mark, near the wing leading edge, pull slightly taught, eyeball it straight and lay it down over the marke near the trailing edge. You can either carry on around the underside of the wing, or mask seperately. Just be aware of the overlap. Fill in the area of white to be masked, I use cheaper masking tape for this.
Note: Always use the cut the edge of the tape at the masking edge. Even if you are going to use the full width of tape, cut the masking edge, use a steel ruler and a sharp knife. This will ensure that you have a clean edge to mask with. Also the thinner the tape the easier it will conform to compound curves.
Scale stripe width:
Invasion stripes were 18" wide on fighters that works out to 0.38" or 9.53mm (say 9.5)
Bombers were 24" (I think) that works out to 0.5" or 12.7mm.
HTH
Mal
18Bravo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
AeroScale: 101 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 01, 2006 - 07:16 AM UTC
After masking, you may want to shoot a thin coat of clear. This helps prevent subsequent color from bleeding under.
 _GOTOTOP