Hosted by Rowan Baylis
B-25J "Strafer" question
Tommy_Guns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 05:33 AM UTC
This may be a bit silly but I am curious... did the Mitchell with all those guns in the nose still perform bombing dutties? I have the Revell/Monogram kit and want to build it up as the the ground attack version. The kit instructions indicate no bombing sight to be installed in the nose of the plane or a bomber seat (and I can only imagine why no bombardier would operate in the nose of the plane will all the guns there), the instructions give no information as to weather the plane still did carry a bomb load or was flying unloaded.

Was the bomb sight relocated? or was the pilot just dropping them by feel?

AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 06:19 AM UTC
Notice in this picture, the bomb bay doors are open, hence, we can assume a bomb run has, or is, about to take place.

From the 345th Bombardment Group site.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 07:11 AM UTC
Basically the Strafer model fought over "open sights" -- gun sights & bomb sights were unnecessary at low-level .... fly low & hold down the trigger for a while, then line up against a mark on the canopy & drop the bombs, then get the hell away ... volume of fire and violence of attack trumps fancy sights any day ....

The 2nd greatest threat, after Japanese AA, was being too low/close to their own bombs exploding ... great story in "Warpath Across the Pacific" of a B-25 firing nose guns & dropping bombs & the spent shell casings hit a just dropped phosphorus bomb & set it off under the aircraft ...

John
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:07 AM UTC
Hi all!

B-25 often dropped these "parachute" bombs

As there were many small ones and the attack was at low altitude, no bomb sight was needed. What John said is correct. The B-25's most dangerous "ennemy" was his own bombload so the "parachute" bombs were welcomed...

Jean-Luc
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 04, 2006 - 10:45 AM UTC
These guys also dropped conventional HE bombs, usually against shipping in skipbombing attacks. See here: Skip bombing & strafing Photos Strafers Attacking Rabual

Strafers also flew conventional level bombing missions against targets not needing their special talents.
Tommy_Guns
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 191 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 05:39 AM UTC
Wow Guys... thank you SOOOO much. This is excellent information!!!!

I really appreciate it. Now I can proceed with building my "strafer" with a full load-SWEET!!!!

_GOTOTOP