Hawker Typhoon 1/72 in progress
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:27 AM UTC
Hi fellows:

While waiting for the Falcon Set of canopies to finish my Moosie, I dicided to start some new projects, this time and for the first time in 1/72 scale.
Iīm planning to build the following all in 1/72:
Hawker Typhoon (the first one) Academy
Hawker Tempest - Academy
Spitfire Mk XIVc - Academy
Spitfire Mk Ia Tamiya
Spitfire Mk Vb - Italeri
Hawker Hurricane (Academy)
Hawker Fury (Matchbox)

I started with the Typhoon from Academy. Itīs a very good kit with engraved panel lines and crisp detail. The fit is perfect, just with test fit and being carefully appling the glue I didnīt use filler even in the wing to fuselage join.
The cockpit detail is Ok and I added the seat belts that I made with lead foil.
I primed all the AC with Model Master Medium Sea Grey that will be the underside colour. I didnīt preshade the panel lines, this time I will use an oil wash.
Here are some pics. Hope you like them and comments will be appreciated.

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 04:01 AM UTC
Hi Carlos
That Tiffie is looking very sweet.The sort of clean build I aspire to.I really hope you dont have the same problems with Academy decals that I had.Will you be doing the invasion stripes by hand?

Quoted Text

īm planning to build the following all in 1/72:
Hawker Typhoon (the first one) Academy
Hawker Tempest - Academy
Spitfire Mk XIVc - Academy
Spitfire Mk Ia Tamiya
Spitfire Mk Vb - Italeri
Hawker Hurricane (Academy)
Hawker Fury (Matchbox)

Just how long are you expecting the canopy for the Mossie to take to arrive???
Is this your first foray into the world of 1/72? Welcome to the club
Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 05:15 AM UTC
Hi Nigel:

Thank you.
I also had some problems with Academy decals some time ago when building a Spitfire Mk XIVc in 1/48. They showed a lot of silvering. The decals of this Typhoon look very good, they seem to be of better quality. To avoid the silvering problem Iīll give a good coat of Future. Hope they work well.
In this kit I will not aply invasion stripes. Iīll see how I go through the masking and painting process in this scale thatīs new for me. I think Iīll go with the invasion stripes in the Tempest that will be my second or third attempt in 1/72.

This is my first kit in 1/72. I found it a little more difficult than the 1/48 because the small parts are more complicated to attach and manipulate and you have too little room to move around, specially when gluing and then sanding.

I suppose that the canopy for the Moosie will be in my hands by the end of this month. I bought it through a guy here in my countrie that imports modeling stuff and he send the order once a month. I did it this way because the price was very atractive.

To avoid the problems that Iīm founding when masking the canopies today I bought from Micromark a roll of Parafilm M. It will arrive in three weeks (I hope that). I read some reviews of the product and it seems that the stuff is wonderfull.

I saw youīre going to build a Bf 109 for the Duel Campaign. I would like to join youīre group with Jean Luc, but donīt know if three participants are allowed.

Regards.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I saw youīre going to build a Bf 109 for the Duel Campaign. I would like to join youīre group with Jean Luc, but donīt know if three participants are allowed.

Hi Carlos!

Three yes... four no! I think Frank Portela (Clanky44) wanted to enter his Spitfire too. I'm afraid two Spitfires and one MS 406 against a single Me 109 won't be possible. If you and Nigel want to duel together I won't mind. I have a big stash and will surely find someone else.
To return on topic your Tiffie looks very good so far! The only thing I don't like that much (but that's the kit) are the simplified exhausts... other than that, I'm sure you will make this one into a beautifull... beast! :-)

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 10:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Carlos!

Three yes... four no! I think Frank Portela (Clanky44) wanted to enter his Spitfire too. I'm afraid two Spitfires and one MS 406 against a single Me 109 won't be possible. If you and Nigel want to duel together I won't mind. I have a big stash and will surely find someone else.

Jean-Luc

Thanks Jean Luc. I agree, the exhausts are very simple but thatīs the way the kit is, a shame in this point.

Talking about the Duel campaign.....
so.... if three is permited, what do you think to make the group with Nigelīs Bf 109 and my Spitfire ?

TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 01:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

so.... if three is permited, what do you think to make the group with Nigelīs Bf 109 and my Spitfire ?

Hi Carlos!

I think you should wait a little longer, there's still enough time until the Campaign starts. I'm sure an opponent for a Spitfire Mk.I will show up sooner or later. If not, we will find a solution!

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Carlos!

I think you should wait a little longer, there's still enough time until the Campaign starts. I'm sure an opponent for a Spitfire Mk.I will show up sooner or later. If not, we will find a solution!

Jean-Luc

Ok Jean Luc. Iīll wait
I read Nigelīs post in the Duel Campaign thread that the Spit Mk I is out of time to met the AC you choosed.
 _GOTOTOP