_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Short Sunderland Colors?
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 02:47 PM UTC
I am about to probably start an Airfix Short Sunderland, and am wondering about the color. On the bottom would that be white?

And as far as the top colors (camo) I have no Idea what those would be.

Thanks,

~Chip
Drader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wales, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,791 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 - 03:17 PM UTC
Hendon's Sunderland MR5 (probably my favourite aircraft there ) is painted white underneath and up the sides. The top surface camouflage should be IIRC Extra Dark Sea Grey and Dark Slate Grey, giving a grey and green scheme. I think earlier Marks of Sunderland were painted Sky underneath instead of white. Certainly the ones in the film 'Coastal Command' look nothing like white.
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 12:10 AM UTC
HI Chip
I read that the white coastal command sceme was as follows Gloss white undersufaces Matt white vertical surfaces ie:-fuselage sides and fin ,Cammo on top.

Some earlier aircraft had the camouflage down to the bottom of the fuselage.

Have a look here http://avia,russian,ee/gallery
There are some good interior shots an a colour drawing.

Dennis
Hohenstaufen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,192 posts
AeroScale: 10 posts
Posted: Friday, April 07, 2006 - 07:56 PM UTC
When my Dad (who was in Coastal Command) first made this kit for me in about 1967, he painted it white all over, as this is how he remembered them. He also remembered the turret insides as being yellow - definitely not sure about that! In fact, the one moored @ Pembroke Dock for years was all white. When I made it again some years later I folowed the kit instructions & camo'd the upper surfaces. I think the all-white scheme was post-war. As for them looking a different colour "down below", the paint took an awful hammering in use, so they soon looked pretty dark unless touched up. Dennis is correct for early schemes. I have a contemporary book called "Britains Wonderful Airforce", which is a sort of propoganda book about the RAF. In this all the Coastal Command aircraft have camo down to the waterline. The Sunderlands pictured also all have the top hatches with flexibly mounted Vickers K guns rather than a power operated upper turret (Mk1?), so beware of that!
 _GOTOTOP