_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Aftermarket Decal Sheets
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:31 AM UTC
Are the aftermarket decal sheets provided by Aeromaster (or any other provider) better than the sheets you get that come with the kit? If so, how? Is it worth spending the $5-$10 on the aftermarket decals, if their better, for a plane considering the quantity you use to complete the kit? Thanks.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 10:49 AM UTC
Replacing decals depends on a few things. Not all kit decals are bad, some are actually outstanding. But if the kit decals were of bad quality (i.e. Monogram's old decals) then it would be better to replace them. Also if you wanted to do a kit in markings not included with the kits, but there were aftermarket decals for the version you wanted available, then you may by them. I usually have US and German markings around to replace old Tamiya ones (for armor) and I have collected up some markings that I thought were neat for aircraft, like the "How's My Driving, Call 1-800-USAF" for the F-16.
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 - 01:08 PM UTC
I am going to be doing some replicas of aircraft used in desert storm and will be buying some to get more authentic decals for that. The main reason for aftermarket decals for aircraft in my opinion is that you get a lot more detail decals. What I talking about are the little things usually not graphics but some type of labeling that a lot of kits don't come with. Thats what I like about them anyway, you end up with a lot more small details to really add a lot to the model.
drewgimpy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 835 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2002 - 12:33 PM UTC
Also, I decided to take a look at E-bay after this post and saw some good deals there, you may want to keep checking there to save a little money. Good luck
Bluefalcon47
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Netherlands
KitMaker: 255 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 11:56 PM UTC
I bought some aftermarket decals for a couple of kits that have VERY old decals in them. I'm afraid they will desintegrate in water or on the model and don't want to make a mess. Also, the aftermarket decals, especially those by Aeromaster, Superscale and Cutting Edge are very thin. They snuggle down over detail easier and generally also react more favorably to decal setting solvents. Being so thin, they will also tear easier and thus require careful application.
Tin_Can
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
AeroScale: 750 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 21, 2002 - 05:25 AM UTC
Ok, thanks for the input guys. I think David was spot on about stock decals being too thick and not reacting to setting soln's too good.
 _GOTOTOP