_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Old supplies?
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:23 PM UTC
In preparation for moving to a new work area in my house, I was cleaning out a bunch of old boxes and came across about 50 old paint jars. Mostly Model Master but therer's some POlly S and other stuff too. Most of the jars were unopened and the ingredents were separated. By rapping the bottle upside down real sharp, I can make the ingredients start to mix but I'm not really sure about using this stuff. Can paint that is unopened be used after 5 or 6 years? And what aboutthe metalizers?
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:39 PM UTC
Why not? My oldest paint is a tin of humbrol orange I purchased along my second kit a decade ago and it's still perfectly usable.
Just make sure to stirr the paints properly. Shaking won't probably be enough. Put a stainless steel ball bearing or two (or something similar) in each paint container and shake vigorously.

I think the paints will be fine, but test them before using just to be sure. (Paints don't usually like getting frozen etc.)
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:40 PM UTC
If they were un-opened, Id really mix them well and try the MM or Polly S. Just use a test piece and experirment. Nothing to lose.
redneck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:45 PM UTC
I have a lot of Testors and Model Master paint from the last time I worked of models. I stopped building for about 5 years and when I came back half my paint still worked. Some of it hade even been opened previously I think. Just mix them up will good and as long as there not real thick give it a try.

Old jars of hard acrylic paint can also be washed out with soapy water mixed with some careful poking with an ice pick to use for mixing. But as for the enamels I have yet to find something that will get them clean.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 08, 2006 - 07:46 PM UTC
I can honestly say that I have a small 1/4 ounce bottle of Pactra Flesh from when I was 12 or so (I'm 41 now) and it is still usable. Just ensure you stir the paint very well. The pigments might have thickened up a bit, but as long as they are able to be stirred, they can be thinned and used. Good suggestion on the test piece too. "Q"
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 07:50 AM UTC
Hi Steve.
If the paints are well closed they have to work. It´s normal that MM enemels get their components separated after a time of being not used. I have a lot of MM enamels for more or less four or five years now and they work very well.
Badger has a really usefull battery operated paint mixer that helps in this cases.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:41 AM UTC
I have bottles of Polly S that are 20+ years old. I just used one color on my Ki-61 and Ki-27.

Yes, if sealed well and no polluted with more thinner, they can stay good.

If you don't want the Polly S, I may like certain colors.
gaborka
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Borsod-Abauj-Zemblen, Hungary
KitMaker: 626 posts
AeroScale: 264 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 10:52 AM UTC
Hi,

I agree that stirring alone won't be enough. Do not use an iron ball though, as the tiny metal shards that can break off the ball will react with the paint and make a goo, so use a glass or stone ball instead (in spray cans there are glass balls). But basically if not opened there should be no problems with hobby paints.
 _GOTOTOP