_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
"Flattop" Campaign D4Y "Judy" finished...
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:32 AM UTC
Hi all!

Here is my finished entry for the "Flattop" Campaign: a D4Y "Judy" diorama
- Aircraft is from Fine Molds
- Japanes Carrier Deck Base is from Eduard
- Figures are from Hecker & Goros, Tamiya and Fine Molds.
- I used mainly Tamiya Acrylics and Future for the Plane and the base.
- I used mainly Prince August Acrylics for the figures.
The Fine Molds kit is nice but the canopy gave me problems. I had to vacuform a new pilots hood... not bad at the end as the cockpit details can now be seen The kit's decals were also unusable so I painted the "Hinomarus" using masks and added numbers on the rudder using spare ones. The decoration, though representative, is therefore fictional.

I didn't wanted to weather the Aircraft too much. In fact there is almost no weathering apart from the exhaust stains. This is probably the cleanest plane of the Imperial Japanese Navy! :-) I hope you still like it...

Jean-Luc
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 12:47 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

That is a good looking diorama. A beauty of a "Juty" too (-tee). :-)

I would not worry about the plane not being weathered much. IMHO the Judies were pretty new to carriers; sure, there were 4-6 at Midway, but by the time they were supplanting Val, IJN carrier ops were limited. I surmise that they were new enough, and not used enough, to show much wear-N-tear.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

Wow! She's a beauty! I particularly like the way the deck's turned out - it gives me hope for my own Eduard decks. I'm sad to admit that I haven't even started my comparable Hellcat scene for the Flat-Tops campaign yet...

All the best

Rowan
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 01:15 AM UTC
Judy, Judy, Judy she's a beauty
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 02:28 AM UTC
Hi again Jean-Luc

I forgot to say - it's really great to see a FineMolds kit! I've got several on the shelves and I think they're great - they've got some really interesting subjects in their range, so nice to see them get a bit of fresh exposure. They're often pretty expensive in Europe, but check out HLJ and they're comparable in price with Hasegawa and Tamiya.

All the best

Rowan
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 02:40 AM UTC
That is a real beauty Jean-Luc. Nice to see a clean Jap plane every now and then ( i really must do one :-)).
Is the base in one piece and what colour did you use for the wood?
Andy (++)
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:19 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc

I like the job you've done on your Suisei. Personally I think you've got the weathering right. Carrier aircraft spend a lot of time below deck. As a carrier launched dive bomber the Judy first main battle was the Battle of the Phillipine Sea, better known as the great Marianas turkey shoot. After this battle Japanese carrier aviation was virtual none existent.

David
Clanky44
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,901 posts
AeroScale: 133 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi Jean-Luc,

Great looking Judy you have there. The base and the figures give it that extra touch. The vacuform canopy is a nice addition, and is a must to see any of the interior.

See you at the dog-fights.....

Frank
Gunny
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 03:33 PM UTC
Hi again Jean-Luc! I'll again give you a big thumbs up in this forum as well as over at Model Shipwrights, mate! Fantastic Judy, fantastic entry! Thanks to all of the wingnuts for joining us salty dogs on this excellent campaign!

Quoted Text

I'm sad to admit that I haven't even started my comparable Hellcat scene for the Flat-Tops campaign yet...

All the best

Rowan

It's OK Rowan, we still have a couple more months of build time left on this one...or did I hear a nomination for an extension? :-)

~Gunny
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi all!

Thanks a lot for your nice comments! Happy you like the model and I didn't made to many cock ups!

Andy, the base is in one piece. There is a picture of it unpainted in the "Flattop thread" at Model Shipwrights. I brush painted the wooden part using Humbrol paints to have a less clean surface. From the box, the base is too "even" and sterile. Then I drybrushed and washed it to reveal small imperfections you can probably find on wooden decks. The Grey elevator was airbrushed to have another texture as the wood. Then I made the "panel" lines using my smallest brush and dark Brown Tamiya paint mixed with future. It took me a few sessions!

I completely forgot to thank Roderick and his Wife (did you mentionned her name already?) for the translation job on the Japanese instructions! This was of great help for painting the model and the pilot figures. Give her a big Kiss from me Roderick... a French Kiss of course!

Jean-Luc
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 09, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC
hi jean-luc, thats a really nice dio you have there, and i must say, as a painter by trade the job you've done on the wooden deck really caught my eye, and overall captures the spirit of a plane being sent off on a mission. nice one!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:05 AM UTC
As usual jean-Luc, very well done, that deck is very realistic looking.
Although I have started my Fairey Firefly for this campaign I'm way behind
Mal
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
Great job as usual. I especially like the carrier deck. Will check out the unpainted picture and then might have to try to get one myself.
Leon
 _GOTOTOP