_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Captured Planes?
DUBDUBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 03:13 AM UTC
I am building a diorama in 1/35 scale of a German Panther tank crossing a bridge, and there is a plane bombing it. would the U.S. and its Aliies capture planes re-paint them and use them or not, because I have a BF-109 in 1/32 scale lying around. or should I just use that and entitle it "Friendly Fire'?
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC
For Evaluation and maybe OSS missions(on OSS missions they even retained the "enemy" Markings), but not for Combat -- only read of the Germans and Italians doing that.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 03:28 AM UTC
Hi William

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Chuck on that - I've never come across examples of the Western Allies using captured Axis aircraft in combat as you describe.

Sorry...

Rowan
old-dragon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 3,289 posts
AeroScale: 289 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC
They took anything of ours that would fly and painted it in they're colors...P-51s, C-46s, P-38, B-24s, P-47s...but that's not what you have to work with. Does your dio have to be bombing the tank...could it be "defending the tank"?!
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've never come across examples of the Western Allies using captured Axis aircraft in combat as you describe.

Hi all!

Rowan, the French used Junkers Ju 88 in combat towards the end of the war. But the pilots were FFI and not regular troops I think...
I never heard of a Bf 109 used in combat by allies except those of the Rumanians wich fought against the German's Bf 109s... Bf 109 against Bf 109, that would be a nice idea for the "Duel" Campaign!
For the situation you described William, as Rowan said, it is very unrealistic I'm afraid...

Jean-Luc
ShermiesRule
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 08:38 AM UTC
I heard of instances where the Germans canibalized crashed bombers to restore flight-worthy B17s and B24s aircraft. Then they would sneak them into inbound US bomber formations as a stray to chart course, speed, numbers, etc. and relay the info to fighters and AA units.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Rowan, the French used Junkers Ju 88 in combat towards the end of the war.

Hi Jean-Luc

You're quite right - I was forgetting the French... and the Co-Beligerent Air Force in Italy with its ex- Regia Aeronautica aircraft (not '109s - I hasten to add).

I still can't think of a Western scenario for William's scene, but did the Finnish Airforce use its Bf 109s against its former ally towards the end of WW2?

All the best

Rowan
corey78028
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:26 PM UTC
you could completely do that. 4 hours ago i read in a book about a whole british unit made up of captured german aircraft. it was a bf 109 with markings like a marine spitfire. i think it was flown by the leader of the unit, which crashed the thing in october 1944. it was the book from osprey publishing "modeling the spitfire and bf109" the title went something like that.
the book said there was a whole ..regiment? im not sure what the word for air is, im an armor modeler lol...
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 01:56 PM UTC
Hi Corey

I think you're referring the RAF's use of captured aircraft for testing and evaluation. We flew a number of Bf 109s, but they didn't go into combat. "War Prizes" is a great book giving plenty of information on the enemy aircraft that were tested in the UK, the US and elsewhere.

All the best

Rowan
DUBDUBS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 624 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 02:12 AM UTC
Guys, thanks for all the help and info, I think I'm going o still do the original plan and keep the german markings, have a bunch of yelling and pointing soldiers. like a friendly fire incident
geronimo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 136 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 12, 2006 - 11:58 AM UTC
William, it' early in the morning and I'm still partially sleeping, but something in my mind remembers a US division on the Western front ("Hell on Wheels" ???--not sure) that took every piece of German equipment that they found. And they were said to have a Bf109 repainted in olive drab with white stars and someone to fly it. But it was used for recon only.

Cheers

Frank
 _GOTOTOP