_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
How you mask cockpit "windows"?
Removed by original poster on 10/31/07 - 15:38:36 (GMT).
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 09:44 PM UTC
masking canopies is always difficult!

I prefer to use the "bare metal foil" product, as it tends to form a much better seal against the plastic than masking tape - but also harder to remove when you are done!

there are various other product out there for masking windows as well (as i am sure others will tell you about), and probably an article on that subject too, but that is what i do.

-v-
klimmer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 250 posts
AeroScale: 207 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 10:23 PM UTC
I just use Tamiya tape, seems to work out the best. As far as the time goes..............sorry, but it does take a long time to get it done, but if you cut thin strips and position along the frame line, then fill the center with larger pieces, then it works out quite well. Or I have heard of canopy mask that you can buy, I can't comment on them since I have not used them.
Good luck with whatever method you use.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, April 10, 2006 - 11:52 PM UTC
I use Parafilm-M, but it takes practice and a little patience, but then masking canopies does require some patience. I haven't met a 14 year old with patience, I know I didn't have any at 14 :-)
Seriousley I think your easiest route would be to use strips of Tamiya tape to define the frames then fill in with larger pieces, as Ted suggests. Being serious again, you will need to have patience to succesfully mask a canopy, take your time and don't try and do it in one go best of luck.

And have fun
Mal
mj
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,331 posts
AeroScale: 325 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 12:35 AM UTC
I use Blue paint masking tape, and the method described above...thin strips to outline the window frame, and then larger pieces to cover the middle. It is tedious work, but it has to be done. I tried liquid mask at one point, but was very unhappy with the result. It just didn't give a clean, clear frame on the canopy.

One thing I do is to dip the canopy in Future and let it dry well before I mask. It helps the appearance of the canopy, and makes it a little easier to remove the tape.

Good luck

Mike

stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 07:10 AM UTC
I use tamiya masking tape, a new fresh #11 blade in the hobby knife, a night dedicated to just masking, a pot of coffe and a tonne of patience!!! Especially on a large scale bird. I recenlty got a 1/32nd Stuka from Hasagawa great detail down to the frames Inside the canopy ( which were masked and airbrushed then masked again for the outside frames...still awaiting paint). But, one trick I use for same scale (1/72nd and smaller) is to paint a sheet of decal the freming colour and then cut that down and apply and trim to size on the frame. Process is alot like good old masking but you only have session of frustarion, especially on the greenhouse canopies of most WWII bombers. HTH STUG

P.S. this is such a popular tactis for attacking canopy frames Hasagawa put in Decals for the Framing on Their new 1/32nd JU-87 G Stuka. Both methods work though.
Removed by original poster on 10/31/07 - 15:38:54 (GMT).
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 07:00 PM UTC
Hi Tuomas:

Up to now I´m using Tamiya masking tape. But to avoid th residue that remains I´m changing to Parafilm - M.
It seems that this stuff is wonderfull.
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 11, 2006 - 07:08 PM UTC
Personally I use parafilm to mask. I really like it. Once you get used to it, it makes masking a relatively painless quick process. Below are a couple links to articles that may help with a couple of the techniques suggested above.

parafilm

Bare Metal Foil

Good luck.
Leon
Removed by original poster on 10/31/07 - 15:39:12 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP