_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
1/48 Eduard Fokker D.VII
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 01:50 AM UTC
Sorry about not responding to the kind words that were said about my Me 262 that went into the gallery. I've been having computer problems lately, and I've tracked it down to a hacker. My new (McAfee) firewall is stopping the crud dead in his (or her) tracks. This was one of the sites that was banned by the hacker. I couldn't login or re-register. If the hacker's demise is as ruthless as Moussolini's, there will be some justice in the world.

Here's one of the kits I've been building lately.

I finished Eduard's 1/48 Fokker D.VII (Fokk) last night, and waited until this morning to take the pics.

The build is completely out of the box, with the exception of the control cables (fine wire) and rigging (steel wire from a DML Fokker D.VIII). This is one of the nicest kits I've ever built, and it has quelled my fear of WW I aircraft. I'm not ready for a D.H.2 at this point, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.

Hope you like it, and thanks for letting me share it with you !

I just received Eduard's new Fokker E.V yesterday, and I can't wait to build it. I'll also have their Roland C.II next week. Oh boy !
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 02:45 AM UTC
Hi Bill!

I'm happy you found your way back to Armorama! I'm also happy you "only" had computer problems...
Your model looks great as usual! The detail seems to be excellent right out of the box. I believe the PE parts are adding a lot to the kit (machine guns, instruments, cockpit etc...) don't they? Is the instrument mounted on the left wing strut also included?

Jean-Luc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 05:16 AM UTC
Hi Bill.
That Fokker looks fantastic. Itīs a great build. The detail of the cockpit is superb. You said thereīs no detailing sets ? Thatīs incredible. Congratulations
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 05:50 AM UTC
Very clean build. One point ... the gun butts are leather padded.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 01:00 PM UTC
Nice job Bill!

Being releatively new to WW1 modelling myself, I found the Eduard kit is superbly detailed and the relative simplicity of the original aircraft makes it ideal for anyone starting out with WW1 models.

How did you get on with the lozenge decals? Apart from the colour problems which Stephen pointed out for our review, I found a couple of snags where Eduard had slightly undermeasured them - I had to do some crafty patching at the wing-roots.

All the best - and it's great to see you back and posting

Rowan
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 02:28 PM UTC
Hello Bill

great looking model .... reminds me that I should do my eduard Fokker D.VII OAW sometimes

one question though. I am quite new to WW 1 modelling too and I would like to know if the stripes for the wing spars should not be Losenge ?

I always thought Fokker Schwerin used the losenge fabric for the stripes and the others(Albatros) used blue/mauve. (This is no accusation just a question from someone who does not know!)

Here is a nice item I found on ebay some years ago (Fokker Schwerin Notgeld ~ replacement money) Especially notice the issue date!

best wishes

Steffen
Pixilater
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 231 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, April 14, 2006 - 05:05 PM UTC
Thank you Jean-Luc, Carlos, Stephen, Rowan, and Steffen !

Jean-Luc - the PE really adds a lot to the detail in this kit. Although Eduard is able to mold the thinnest and tiniest parts I've ever seen in a kit (even finer than Hasegawa!), the PE is the icing on the cake.

Carlos - Eduard includes PE in the kit, so anything aftermarket (besides different markings) seems superfulous. It's the most detail I've ever gotten for a cost of thirty bucks total.

Stephen - oh well. Ya live, ya learn. Without having a lot of references for this aircraft, I didn't know that.

Rowan - I had no issues with the lozenge at all. Mine weren't speckled, and they fit perfectly. I applied mine slightly differently than you did. I started at the center, and moved outwards. With no overlapping, the fit was right on the money.

Steffen - I confess to knowing very little about WW I aircraft. I just used what Eduard provided. This is the first WW I aircraft I've built since the DML kits were available, about ten years ago. I plan to build more, though. They're FUN !

Thanks again !
 _GOTOTOP