_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
He70 Lufthansa question...
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hi guys. I am building Revell's(ex-Matchbox as far as I know) Heinkel70 Blitz as civil version. It says metalic on the box for colour but all the photos I saw was a matt color. Can it be the rlm91 (acording to rlm.at's chart it is the Lufthansa color). If so how can I have it or at least what can I paint as substitude?
And a second question. On some photoes just under the blitz on the front writes Lufthansa and on some Heinkel. What is the difference? Thanks guys.....
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,954 posts
AeroScale: 1,163 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 03:22 AM UTC
well, this is not the most helpful answer (and it is lifted from another forum i previously looked at as I was wondering approximately the same thing), but it is relevant:

Lufthansa colors apparently were as follows:

1) Silver paint or natural aluminium - prewar, has a distinct metallic sheen
2) Light grey (Hellgrau) - prewar, shown with a light hue on photos, but with no metallic sheen. probably not RLM 63 - thought to be even lighter and not have the greenish tint.
3) RLM 02 - WW2, darker than the light grey sheme
4) Dark green or dark grey - WW2. About the same darkness as on Luftwaffe Ju.52s (i.e. 72/73) scheme, but only a single colour.

I think #4 MAY be a reference to the RLM 91 color, which is described as "duralgrau" or "dunkelgrau". I beleive the "dural" part refers perhaps to a paint for or at least having something to do with duraluminum, which in fact was the primary metal used for skinning the He 70.

Not even sure RLM 91 should be a real dunkel (dark) grey to tell the truth (since comparing B&W photos is difficult at best), but apparently it isn't a light grey at least - i've not found a whole lot out about that color to tell the truth since it is clearly a wartime color and i was more interested in the prewar scheme. I think a generic light grey is valid for a prewar Lufthansa plane, as is silver or a NMF evidently (I would bet on the silver paint since there seems to be liittle variation in tone and a distinct but rather dull sheen in the photos I've seen that clearly aren't light grey).

I don't claim this is a be all and end all answer, or that it is even particularly accurate since it is largely based on other people's opinions and a little supporting research of my own (which did seem to back up what I said, but I didn't really look into extensively since i was just satisfied with getting an answer that said light grey was suitable for my uses, which was the answer i wanted).
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 03:38 PM UTC
Thanks Vance it's been pretty helpful. I was really wondereing what RLM91 was like. Ok then it is no it. I'll try some paler shade of 65. Thanks again....
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 05:16 PM UTC
hi Yalım! i have this same kit, but i intend to build it as a spanish civil war version, although the civil colour schemes are attractive, so i might build a couple. don't forget to post up your in progress pics and keep us updated on how its going
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 12:07 AM UTC
we should do a little group build on this kit since we all three have it!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2006 - 12:06 PM UTC

Quoted Text

we should do a little group build on this kit since we all three have it!

good idea! ive been looking forward to building mine ever since i bought it, and it would also fit in with the spanish civil war group build.let us know when you want to start, and we can start a He 70 thread, and get things rolling
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 02:49 PM UTC
Fair Warning guys. Don't get too enthusiastic about it! It is a horrible kit. Well actually probably was a perfect kit when it was Matchbox but as most of the recast ex-Matchbox Revell kits, it is horrifyinf. It is because of the mold corrosion in time I think. It is a fun kit after all. No matter it doesn't fit in a few unimportant parts such as wings.} Oh and don't forget, if you are building the civilian version it has no doors on it. I had to scratch then on. And wthey became wrong. Afterall I am willing to finish this kit. I became strangely masoschistic lately in horrible kits. I've been building a few PM, one 1/72 Frog Me110G(worst kit I've ever seen), one Minicraft 1/144 Me110G(but it is clearly C when you look at the nose and the exhaust pipes). I nearly don't remember what a good kit was like:P
vanize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 08:34 PM UTC
I actually like a challenging kit occasionally. plus i'll never get around to building it if i don't have some reason like this to do it.

however, i did manage to break a bone in my left hand a couple days ago, so it may take a liitle while before i can actually get back to building any kits at all!

so, how about a start date of sometime soon, since jolly rodger is already in progress, and an end date at least 3 months from now since it may be as much as 6 weeks before i can build anything again.

-v-
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I actually like a challenging kit occasionally. plus i'll never get around to building it if i don't have some reason like this to do it.

however, i did manage to break a bone in my left hand a couple days ago, so it may take a liitle while before i can actually get back to building any kits at all!

so, how about a start date of sometime soon, since jolly rodger is already in progress, and an end date at least 3 months from now since it may be as much as 6 weeks before i can build anything again.

-v-

sounds good to me, i'm in the middle of a campaign and a group build already but i can sqeeze this in (plus it will also qualify for the group build too)
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 - 12:26 PM UTC
found this article on aircraft resource centre, some info on building this kit that i think you guys like to see
[url][http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5/4601-4700/gal4624_He-70_Stern/gal4624.htm/url]
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, April 21, 2006 - 12:27 PM UTC
oops! working link
http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal5/4601-4700/gal4624_He-70_Stern/gal4624.htm
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, April 22, 2006 - 03:41 AM UTC
Hmm sounds bad. Get well soon Vance. I am in for a Group build....
 _GOTOTOP