P-51
Siderius
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 1,747 posts
AeroScale: 1,673 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 05:38 AM UTC
New decals on this kit here: New Decals

This is my P-51 from academy in 1/72 scale. Painted with model master acryl aluminum. I had some problems with the decals and used three different sheets of decals to cobble together this mustang.
The only problem was some decal film still being visible on the unit codes; I may or may not try to fix this.

EDC
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Christchurch, New Zealand
KitMaker: 101 posts
AeroScale: 74 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 05:59 AM UTC
Looks good! (And tiny: right now I'm painting my 1/32 P-51d.)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 10:04 AM UTC
Hi Russell!

Seems the "Little Lady" decal silvered also... maybe a drop or two of Future would help. I would also paint the exhausts a different shade than the airframe.
I'm not sure about that, but shouldn't the wheel bays doors be in the opened position when the plane is on the ground?
Other than those "details" it's a nice little model! I don't know how you can achieve clean builds in such a small scale...

Jean-Luc
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 11:10 AM UTC
Hi Russell.
Nice Mustang.Congratulations
A wash to bring out the detail a bit would look really nice,and apart from the wheelwell doors which Jean Luc mentioned thats it.Looks great.

Quoted Text

I don't know how you can achieve clean builds in such a small scale...

Its not that small Jean Luc ,,,says I,,while thinking about ordering a big magnifying glass/light :-)
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 02:43 PM UTC
hi russell! its total bad news when your decals let you down and its always at the end of the build! you might want to try micro-sol and micro-set i use both these when im decaling, what they do is to soften the decal so it can snuggle down on the kit, all you would have to do is brush some over the decals and leave them (say overnight) so this could be an easy fix. i have to agree with the other guys on the exhuasts, they could do with looking more like burnt metal, than the colour of the fusalage. and finally as for the undercarridge doors i'm sure that they opened and closed again when the wheels were lowered, so i think your doors are right as they are
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 04:05 PM UTC
Hi Russell, nice mustang pity about the decals.
The inner gear doors on mustangs closed after the wheels were down but, as they were hydraulically operated and the power for this came from the engine, when the engine was turned off the pressure would bleed off and, after a short time 1-2 minutes, the doors would hang down. So if you plane has just had it's engine cut you are right
Gotta agree with the colour of the exhausts.
The slight gap under the fixed portion of the canopy can be filled with white glue (PVA) and painted to match.
Mal
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 04:59 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The inner gear doors on mustangs closed after the wheels were down but, as they were hydraulically operated and the power for this came from the engine, when the engine was turned off the pressure would bleed off and, after a short time 1-2 minutes, the doors would hang down.

Hi Mal!

I didn't knew that! That's why I was precautionous as I mentionned this. There's always something new to learn... Thanks!

Jean-Luc
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 09:14 PM UTC
It might also be the case for the flaps, as you mostly see the flaps down when a P-51 is on the ground.
Mal
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 302 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 12:21 PM UTC
Nice build you have there!
Nothing to add to what our esteemed colleagues have already said.
BTW I'm working on a 1/72 Mustang, too. At the moment I'm covering it with aluminium foil.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Monday, April 17, 2006 - 02:59 PM UTC
hi klaus! don't forget to take some pictures, and get them on a thread. i've seen models finished in foil, and i would like to find out a little more about how its done
cheers, phil
Avus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Roma, Italy
KitMaker: 302 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 19, 2006 - 01:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

don't forget to take some pictures, and get them on a thread.

Ok I'll take some pics and post them in a new thread; maybe tonight or latest tomorrow morning.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2006 - 10:43 PM UTC
Hi Russell. Very nice Mustang you got there. Very clean build. I agree with the opinions about the exhausts and wheel bay doors. Thatīs a very beatifull model so i think it would be great if you can fix the decal problem. If you try to do it (as they other modelers said) donīt forget to gave a coat Future before applying them and Microsol is also a good option to soften the decals and make them copy the surface details.
You can also try to paint some panels with a diferent shade of metalizer to give some contrast and a realistic look to the bird.
Academy decals are really bad, they always, always give troubles.
 _GOTOTOP