_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Model Aircraft Monthly
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
Greetings all;

My old friends at Model Aircraft Monthly are beginning a new series on WWI aircraft and the first is on the Nieuport 17. Written up and built by some old plugger here abouts.
http://sampublications.com/sampubs.htm
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 02:33 PM UTC
I’ve got that magazine, nice article, always learning something new. Tom’s modelswork was a new name for me. Did some google, and found it. Looking forward for the next issue
Cheers
Lars
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 - 02:41 PM UTC
Hi Stephen!

Nice one!

I usually don't buy this magazine (it's not that easy to find in France and I buy already too much model related magazines according to SWMBO... ) but If I find this one be sure I'll grab it!

Jean-Luc
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 27, 2006 - 05:30 AM UTC
Stephen,

Good article & glad to see MAM is going to run a WW1 series.

I like MAM -- they got me nervous 2-3 years ago when "Model" started to disappear into very small obscure font on the cover, but they have come back .... I like the mix of models & hard core reference -- reminds me of Aeromodeller decades ago ....

John, subscriber
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 03:49 PM UTC
Greetings all;

Looks like MAM did my Nieuport 11 article in their May issue and my Albatros OAW article in the September issue.
Repainted
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Östergötland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,058 posts
AeroScale: 1,004 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 24, 2006 - 10:19 PM UTC
Great article Stephen
I went into town for this magazine after your tip. After a good cup of coffee and reading your article I was satisfied. Nice one, just the right amount of history and developments and then into the plastics. That’s what I like, a real good article for the builder. You have nice photos of the subject, my guess is they are taken in daylight, or do you have a single source of light, (the shadows from the topwing) this is no critique Stephen. I’m just curios.
This kit was one of my first tryouts, after leaving the world of painting figures. Now I have to read the rest of that magazine, where is my coffee? Hm, cold, that’s not good at all. Well I have some building to take care of, so more coffee turn on the radio, listen to the sportevents and get that Nieuport looking good.
The rest of the magazine has to wait.
Good reading for the Albatrosbuilders.
Keep on writing Stephen, you are good at it

Lars

JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, September 25, 2006 - 02:57 AM UTC
Greetings Lars;

Thanks for the very kind words. I try to write all of my reviews based on what would interest the average modeler. If I am getting you interested then I am hitting the experienced builders too. That makes me feel good.

About my lightling. Strickly out doors. I like the shadows and feel of the resulting images. Atmospheric conditions vary as well so some images are remarkably different from the same session. I use an older Nikon F with a macro lens. Thanks to an old friend and gentleman modeler Paul Linger. I use 400 speed outside lighting. Sometimes filtered sometimes not.

The Albatros D.III (OAW) Tropical for instance (one of the subjects of the article.) It was done in bright sunlight as it might have appeared in Palestine in 1918. Though the ground cover is pretty general. I like to shoot images at "scale eye level" thats what gives one the general impression that, this is what the original might have looked like. It really brings the viewer in. Then I do the plan views. The tails up position is often shot at scale eye level or slightly above that. Thanks again for the kind words.

Regards Stephen
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 30, 2006 - 02:31 PM UTC
I was asked recently how many articles have I had published. You can check my profile here at Aeroscale for those listings but the total number now is at about 48. For MAM it stands at 17 published and 5 more in their hands yet to be done. Cross & Cockade Intl. just published my piece on the 31st Aero and Over the Front is editing my piece on the 185th Aero for this or next year. Along with kit reviews and my website, I am plotting another unit history on the 6th Aero stationed in the Hawaiian Islands during 1918-1919.
 _GOTOTOP