_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
UH-1D from Panda
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 512 posts
AeroScale: 104 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 06:19 PM UTC
sooooooooo anyone gotten a look at the new 35th scale Huey ??? huh huh huh

lemme know what yall think bout it if you've seen her upclose an personal...

Chris
2-2dragoon
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 608 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 06:59 PM UTC
I have it about 35-40% complete. Nice, detailed interior. It is a well detailed kit externally with crisp molding and a good fit. The instructions are a bit on the unclear side, but other than that it is a nice kit. For the price it is a hell of a buy.

I would give it a 4.5 of 5.
stugiiif
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,434 posts
AeroScale: 403 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 04, 2003 - 10:21 PM UTC
is the fit better than the mrc hueys, i don't wnat to waist my time like i did with mrc. stug

stevus khan
pig23
Der Sonntag Bund
Holocaust59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 07:14 AM UTC
It's a very nice kit, quite well detailed, with some left for the detail freaks to add. The profile is extremely accurate and captures the 'feel' of the real thing well. Frankly, for the price it's a bargain.
On the down side, mine came without pilot figures, but I heard someone mention that theirs had them included, however, they may have been mistaken as the seats are molded with the straps on them which would mean the crew weren't strapped in. Also there are no mountings for door guns included (or guns for that matter) which means that for most variants a bit of scratchbuilding and finding some M60s will be required. The clear parts are very good and thoughtfully molded particularly the forward cabin doors which are all clear plastic to save you the trouble of fitting separate window pieces. The cockpit has some molded console detail where the radios are but the 'dashboard' is a decal rather than a molded instrument panel. The soundproof quilting in the cabin is OK but you might want to sand it off for a more 'Nam' look, and the cabin seats will need a bit of scratchbuilding to make them look more acceptable (or if you want to be lazy you could just close the doors! There aren't any antenna options either and you might find yourself adding or deleting the odd bit to get the exact variant you want. Also, there is no anti-strella exhaust diffuser, so a more up-to-date depiction will need that scratchbuilding too.
On the whole though, these are all minor criticisms and built straight from the box it would still look very good, because the main thing is that it looks right.
I would certainly recommend it and I think I will be acquiring another one soon!
RobH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 07:40 AM UTC
Hi

The Panda kit is certainly OK, but could do with some detailing. IMHO, the seats need work, and I'd prefer a moulded control panel, not a decal! However, certainly a better base than Revell's 1:32 kit.
The figures mentioned were rumoured included in an alternative release, although this has disappeared from the web-site. The figures are Dragon's 'Nam heli crew with two pilots and two gunners. The Dragon set is out there, although I don't think there currently released. The include the slick M60 mount, fixed ammo box and spent cartridge box, and a nicely detailed pintle M60. So you'll need two of these boxes!
Hopefully, Panda will get wise and release a kit with the figures in.

cheers

Rob
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 08:29 AM UTC
The dragon set IS currently available. In Stock Here!!!!!!

Matt

Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 09:20 AM UTC
howdy guys well I just sent Chris an email asking if hes in the works for any detaild stuff for the kit an I should hear something back from him in a few days btw Chris is the builder for Cobra Company so lets all get to gether an ask him to step up the speed

I have both of the versions an I'm impressed with them greatly.. an the UH-1D gunship that I have from them came with crew members

ok fer now I'll shut up

Chris aka Rattler
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 04:32 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. I have been waiting to hear about this one myself. Sounds like a decent kit. I know the Revell was n't the greatest, but for years was the only one. Thank the Air Gods for Panda.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:35 AM UTC
Google your way over the Heli-kit news and search there for info in the Panda UH1D's
From what I remember there are some accuracy issues with the rotorhead, making it an N instead...
sorry home from work with the flu..memory is sketchy..

If nothing else, a bare instrument panel will make it easier to add the film and etch replacement from Eduard ( when it arrives)

I still have to finish a couple of more kits before I buy anything new this year.. a New Years resolution that survuived into the second week...

Mike
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 06:18 AM UTC
ok guys just got a reply from Chris Miller from Cobra Company... he is in the plans of doing seats insterment panel an 60 gun stations for the 35th Huey sometimes early this year so keep an eye out fer new things on the Cobra site..

Chris
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, January 09, 2003 - 11:54 PM UTC
Is ther any mention from Panda about a Gunship version?
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, January 10, 2003 - 09:57 PM UTC
Mav they do have a gunship version but is slick style
Holocaust59
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 113 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 08:11 AM UTC
The Australians used heavily-armed UH-1D's in Nam, so there's nothing to stop you doing a 'gunship' with the current model from Panda. There are reference pics of one of these in the Squadron/Signal UH-1 Huey book. I can scan the pic if you wish.
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, January 11, 2003 - 11:33 AM UTC
I was thinking along the lines of the quad 60's and the 2.75 rocket tubes like Revell used on their Huey. May be close enough in scale to scrap a Revell for the guns.
RobH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 03:12 AM UTC
So, Rattler

I have the UH-1D 1st Cavalry kit. No figures.
Is the kit listed as WASP gunship the one with figures????

Is it released in the UK??? (Hannants only have the Cav kit)
You have one, where did you obtain it

Cheers

Rob
Rattler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, January 12, 2003 - 01:50 PM UTC
My bad yall the Cav one didnt have the figs.. the UH-1D gunship version has them

I have both from Sqd publications mail order..

kit numbers were
1st CAV--1-PS35005
UH-1D -- 1-PS35006

both ran Me bout 25.46 ,plus tax

cfbush2000
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
AeroScale: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 12:13 PM UTC
I just bought the 1st Cav version today. The box has a sticker saying:
BONUS: Vietnam Crew Figure set
There are 4 figures and a color sheet for them included.
The rguy at the hobby shop said he has recieved the kit both ways.
I guess you just have to look for the sticker.
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 24, 2003 - 07:10 PM UTC
Well thats not very fair.In fact that kinda sucks.
jimbrae
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 25, 2003 - 12:33 AM UTC
Mavrick, thanks for starting this subject, for the last month or two I've been annoying everyone asking about the Panda stuff. I'm definitely going to build one or two of them (at least) I've only seen one so far (the Huey) and it was in the box, so i'm finding this post very interesting indeed.....more please..... Jim
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 28, 2003 - 07:16 PM UTC
Loved this kit. This is the one I used for my "Charlie Don't Surf" project. I di d use the after market 1st Cav. figures with mine along with the Helo crew set. Put really had to modify the seats to get the pilots to fit. (Surf boards not included)
 _GOTOTOP