_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Stippling - how to?
catman31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 03, 2006 - 11:42 PM UTC
How do you guys stipple paint on the fuselage sides of a Bf 109 E-4 (stippling with RLM71) for a Battle of Britain bird?

Thanks
-Felix
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:19 AM UTC
Hi Felix,
I'm not sure what you mean by "stippling" this 109E has a stippled camoflage applied over the RLM 65 sides. The actual aircraft was don in a similar manner. To acheive this I cut down the bristles of an old brush, dipped it in the paint, dabbed off the excess then stippled the paint onto the model, much like you would apply paint to a stencil mask, ie by dabing the cut down paint brush agains the model.

I suspect though that you are talking about "mottle" similar to this Bf 110G-2

Which is applied with an airbrush.
Another example of "mottling is this Fw 190D-9

Again done using an airbrush.
Hope this helps (HTH)
Mal
catman31
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 166 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 12:52 AM UTC
Thanks - helps a lot

I was, in fact, talking about the technique you mentioned of cutting the bristles of your brush. Now that I think of it, I bet a cut down scrub pad (like for dishes) would work, too.

Thanks again for the information.
luftwaffle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Stippling referred to a pattern applied with a mop or sponge, rather than mottling which was applied with an airbrush. The aircraft of II./JG 2 during the BoB are a good example of this technique.

BTW, beautiful trio of birds there, Mal.

Here's my method, I stole some make up sponge from my wife, dipped it in a little paint and patted it on a paper towel until there was just a trace of paint left. Blotted it on the fuselage sides until it gradually built up into the desired effect. I'm pretty happy with the way it came out.

_GOTOTOP