_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Is rigging considered OOB?
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 04:44 AM UTC
Just out of curiousity, I was wondering if you build a biplane for an out-of-the-box show category, should you put rigging on it? I've never seen a kit with the rigging included.

Come to think of it, wouldn't OOB mean you shouldn't add paint? Or glue?
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 05:03 AM UTC
Well, if it shows in the intructions it certainly is, and I believe if it shows on the boxtop, it is.
airwarrior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,085 posts
AeroScale: 217 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 06:14 AM UTC
If you use stretched sprue from the kit, then yes, it is out of the box.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:00 AM UTC
Here are the IPMS National Contest OOB Rules.
Other contests may vary -- check with them before entering.

1. OUT-OF-THE-BOX entries will be governed by the following rules:
A. KITS. Any commercially available kit may be used. The host chapter and the National Contest Committee will determine the number of categories incorporating Out-Of-The-Box awards.
B. FINISH. All finishing techniques are allowed. Decals other than those included with the kit may be used. Insignia, markings, and instrument panels may be hand-painted instead of decaled. Weathering is permitted.
C. CONSTRUCTION. The modeler may fill seams and gaps; sand off rivets; drill out gun ports, exhaust pipes, or other appropriate openings; thin to scale such parts as trailing edges, flaps, and doors; add rigging and antennas; and add simple tape or decal seat belts in the cockpit of an aircraft or the interior of a vehicle (NO commercial or modeler manufactured hardware - e.g., buckles, etc.).
D. IT IS NOT PERMITTED TO: vacuform, manufacture, or replace any part, or substitute parts from another kit; cut or separate canopies, surfaces, hatches, doors, etc. (no major surgery); combine a standard kit with a conversion kit; add anything other than specified on the instruction sheet except as shown in Section C above.
E. INSTRUCTION SHEETS. Modelers must attach the kit instruction sheet to the entry form. Models entered without an attached kit instruction sheet will not be considered for an Out-of-the-Box award.

Note that it is not required to use stretched sprue from the kit for rigging ...

John
capnjock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 860 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 07:20 AM UTC
In addition to above, most contests spell out what OOB means to them. Since not all contests are IPMS types, it pays to be aware of what the specific contest considers OOB. That is the main reason I enter my stuff in the open class even if it could be considered OOB.
capnjock
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 03:28 PM UTC
Well, that pretty much pins things down. Common sense would dictate about what the IPMS rules say.

Is there any question you guys can't answer?

Thanks guys.
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 04, 2006 - 05:07 PM UTC
Steve, believe it or not....
A little common sense is basically all that's needed to figure out any of the IPMS category rules.
The problem arises when some, not all, try to work around or rewrite them to try to gain an advantage over those that are willing to follow the rules. Then want to fight and argue over it.

All the category rules are fair, and are there to try to level the playing field for everyone. The problems arise when some, not all, try to wangle and wiggle through them, then get pissed off for not getting their way.

I'm sure if they had a blue aircraft category, someone would try placing a green one in it, and try to rationalize, and convince everyone that his prize model belongs there because he used blue to make the green. Then piss and moan about what a bunch of rotten, nasty people the members are because they told him to take a hike.

Good luck, and looking forward to seeing your OOB rigged aircraft.
 _GOTOTOP