Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Me-262 Flies Again
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 09:13 AM UTC

For those who do not know yet but an Me-262 is flying in the U.S. Though a replica, it is
based on Messerschmitt blue prints. With uprated engines, modern avionics and
hydraulic systems.
This is the 1st of 5 aircraft being constructed. This version a Me-262B-1c 2seat variant took flight at Paine Airfield, Wa, USA on Dec. 20th. The '"c" suffix stands for the J-85 powerplant being used,(it was able to fit in the original configuration of the engine pods).
You can read and view the images regarding this exciting project at [url=http://www.stormbirds.com]
AIRB842586
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 261 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 09:35 AM UTC
That is really interesting, who is responsible for all of it? Like the building and financing for such an operation?
uscusn
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 86 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 02:18 PM UTC
The company is called Classic Fighter Industries, Stephen Snyder was the President of the company until his death last year. This gentleman was an aviator, inventor among his accomplishments in life. His fascination with the Me-262 has been a lifelong endeavor.
He did not want to create an aircraft that looked like an Me-262, he wanted a genuine one
that would fly like the examples that flew in WWII. Where to get one, very rare and valuable,
no surviving airframes that the owners were willing to part with. However, he did find an
Me-262 at NAS Willow Grove. This a trainer version was owned by the Navy, in a very bad
state of disrepair, Mr Snyder was able to secure the aircraft as a template to create a new one. And also to restore "White 35" to it's original splender at no cost to the Navy. Since the Navy stated that the aircraft could not leave U.S. shores, Mr Snyder was able to find a
company in Texas to restore the aircraft while the aircraft was disassembled it could fabricate replacement parts from that particular aircraft. The Me-262 project was on, this
back in 1993. 5 aircraft are being fabricated, with the Messerschmitt work numbers in the next sequence as it was from 1945. Of course the sample aircraft is a trainer, so the 1st aircraft was built as such. Of the 5 only one the 5th airframe will be a single place type.
 _GOTOTOP