_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
How Do You Remove Paint From A Model?
chip250
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 1,864 posts
AeroScale: 410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 06:38 PM UTC
How would I go about removing paint that is about two years old off of a Revell ME-110?

Is it possible to do without harming the model?

Thanks!

-Chip #:-)
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 07:39 PM UTC
Hi chip,

I've heard that it is possible to take paint off a model. There are quite a number of approached, which include Dot 5 brake fluid(potentially harmful, esp to skin), oven cleaner(again, harmful), or using market products like Strip-A-Kit. Other methods include using a No 11 knife to peel off paint, but you have to be very careful with this !

You can check up at www.aircraftresourcecenter.com for an article on removing paint. Check under the Tooln'Tips link.

Hope this helps.

BP.
penpen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Hauts-de-Seine, France
KitMaker: 1,757 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 10:04 PM UTC
You place the kit in a plastic bag, and then you spray it with oven cleaner.
You close the bag and you leave it overnight. Then, with a toothbrush, you should be able to peal the paint off. This will harm all the small breakable parts...
Also, I think you'd better remove or protect the canopy before doing this !
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 05, 2003 - 11:58 PM UTC
Chip,

Go to walmart and buy a gallon of Castrol Super Clean. Put it in a container large enough for the model & let it soak atleast 24 hours This works great (may take several days though)
I just did a Hmmwv. it took tries to remove all of the paint.

ArmouredSprue
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 1,958 posts
AeroScale: 116 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:08 AM UTC
Hi!
If you used acrilics (as Tamiya) just make a solution using water and powder soap, put the kit on it and let it overnight, after this you just have to use a tooth brush and rinse with water.
Cheers
WeWillHold
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:32 AM UTC
Its already been mentioned above, but brake fluid works great, and I've never had any trouble using it, (I model armor however).

Get some sort of disposable container like an old pie plate or plastic ice cream pale, put your model in it, and cover it with clean brake fluid. Let the model sit for about 1/2 an hour and take a soft toothbrush, (make sure you throw the brush away when you're done), and slowly brush the model. If the paint doesn't start to come off, let the model soak a little longer.

Once you have completed removing the paint from your model, properly dispose of the fluid, toothbrush, and container. Wash your model thoroughly, and let dry. You are now ready to repaint. Good luck!

Hollowpoint
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
AeroScale: 9 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 12:46 AM UTC
Formula 409 cleaner works pretty good for acrylics. It doesn't soften the plastic like some oven cleaners.
mavrick1124
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 188 posts
Posted: Monday, January 06, 2003 - 02:09 AM UTC
These guys just about covered all the angles. A company called Melaluca makes an all purpose cleaning solution called Solumel. It isn't very cheap and can be diluted several times. My wife used to sell these products and ask me to try it one day when I screwed up one of my planes. It worked great. It will also take paint off of clear parts and does not haze or streak the parts. Works on Permanent marks too. Greatest thing I have ever seen for canopys.
 _GOTOTOP