_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft
This forum is for general aircraft modelling discussions.
Scribing Panel lines
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 05:38 PM UTC
Hi folks,

One q on rescribing panel lines on aircraft. I am doing this for my Ju-88.

I am using a needle in a pin-vise for scribing the lines. However, I am finding that when I drag the needle over the plastic, it is gouging a line, and ridges are forming on both sides of the line. How do you get rid of these ridges?

I tried using 1200-1500 grade sandpaper, but it is driving the plastic back in, covering the line just created. I then tried using my fingernail in the opposite direction of the ridge, but to no effect. So how do i get the effect i need? I don't want to sand or gouge the plastic further, since I'm afraid that it will either take off too much plastic off the surface, or cut it.

I'm wondering whether I need to invest in a dental steel tooth scratching tool to get the v-ridge needed for my panel lines. Will this help?

Any ideas?

TIA,
BP.
TOMCAT14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 312 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 07, 2003 - 08:38 PM UTC

Hi Bytepilot ,

I know it's hard working , My expirience only know how save the plastic before ridges come .
Simply I using Tamiya masking tape - it's reduce risk of slide of the needle over plastic .
It's little help - but help me before sanding corect line over and over .

Best Regards

(:-) (:-)
slodder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
AeroScale: 305 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 01:46 AM UTC
For scribing lines I use the back side of the tip of #11 exacto blade. It etches in the line nicely and I don't get the ridges.
I try to use some type of 'straight' edge either tape (as mentioned) or a ruler to help. I usually only tape one side of the line. I haven't seen any extra ridge.
If I do get some back spill I simply go over the scribed line a second/third time.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi Bytepilot,
I also use the method that Slodder uses. I have been very happy with the results from using the back of the blade. Give it a try and you may like it as well.
Bender
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wyoming, United States
KitMaker: 323 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 07:33 AM UTC
yep the back of the blade works great for me too

Bender
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 10:23 AM UTC
I went out and bought the Bare Foil Line Scriber and it works like a charm!!! I have only scribed a 1 inch line with it, but it did it very well!!!!

I don't even want to think that I should have saved the money and just turned my knife upside down!!!!
bytepilot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Karnataka, India / भारत
KitMaker: 381 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:31 PM UTC
Hi folks,

Thanks for the tips. I was able to do it well finally!

I went to a local medical supplies shop, and bought a scalpel blade (a no 20 I think), which has a hook like blade, and used it. The lines came out just superbly ! Just sandpapered with a 1200 grit, and the ridges vanished. This is so coooool!!!

Have finished both upper wing surfaces yesterday. Will post some pics of my work today.

One more thing. I found a new method of getting straight lines around curved edges. I used a strip of aluminium from a Coke can, and ordinary masking tape. I cut a piece of tape whose width exceeded that of the Al strip, and stuck it on to the Al strip, so that one edge of the masking tape exactly lines up with the Al strip edge.

Now, when i needed to scribe a panel line that I had drawn earlier, I just wrapped the combo strip along the line. The masking tape provided adhesion to the wing surface, and the Al strip provided the line along which I could scribe my line!!

The strip is reusable, and you can keep on using it until the glue of the masking tape wears out. Then just take the masking tape again, cut and paste another strip on to the Al strip, and awaaay you go!

Hope somebody finds use of this method...

Cheers,
BP.
 _GOTOTOP