_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
AH-1S who pretends to be a Sea Cobra
Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 1,088 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
I just finished my 1:48 Revell-Monogram AH-1S Cobra helo I built for an illustration.
I needed a Sea Cobra actually but this kit was at hand and accuracy doesnīt play part this time.
Itīs kinda refreshing to approach a project with loose attitude. Just enjoy a "snack" of modelling!
The kit was pleasant to build. There were some parts to clean up before assembly and the canopy was already scratched. Decals were very glossy and not very accurate, normal Monogram. Panel lines are all raised and some was lost in the sanding process.
I wanted a colourful scheme for this helo, so I took the basic colours from Sea Cobra camo and just painted it without any further research. I used light grey enamel as a base, other colours are painted over that. The greens are both enamel, but the first layer was a bit transparent so I went for another layer, this time with matt acrylics. I left the second paint layer unfinished, so some "weathering" was created accidentally as the colour changes near panel lines! Only weathering was made with thin acrylic dark brown, just a quick go-through over panel lines, wiping excess paint off with my bare finger. I searched for a worn, ass-kicking look for the helo, letting the super-detailing part go this time. The only purpose is to look good in the final Photoshop-picture with explosions and action.
Building time: 3 days.
Here it is, all comments are welcome as always!

Toni

PS. The base was provided with the kit, it was printed on the back side of the box. Good idea!
Epi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 3,586 posts
AeroScale: 55 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 05:26 AM UTC
Great job!!!!!!! But i have one complaint, why did you still use the Army makings with a Marine color scheme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! J/K!!!!!! #:-) #:-) #:-)
The weathering job did come out good!!!!!
Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

why did you still use the Army makings with a Marine color scheme!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To tell you the truth, it just didnīt cross my mind! Besides I didnīt have Marine decals or they would have been the wrong scale... #:-)
Those texts are not visible in the final picture this model was made for, and if they were visible, I would have removed them anyway.
But if anybody has spare white "MARINE" markings in 1:48 scale, I would be more than happy to recieve them and correct this shameful error!

Toni
Epi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:32 AM UTC
It was just a joke Toni, especially since I am Army all the way.
I know I have the 1/48 Superscale decal sheet for helicopters at home. I used the Army markings for a sci fi model and will check to see if there was Marine white markings. I'm pretty sure there was. If so, there are yours. #:-) #:-)
Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:35 AM UTC
Yeah, joke taken, not stirred!
#:-)
If you find those markings, Iīll send you all my decals for every AER kit I have! They are not too bad. They even stay attached-in the paper-with CA glue!
#:-)
Cheers,
Toni
Epi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 06:42 AM UTC
Toni,
I dont know if you have read some of the post that I found stuff for guys. Usually, if its a small thing like decals or small parts sprue, anything little, I really dont ask much, most of the time just a favor down the road. Its just a fellow modeler helping another. Besides, its empties a little more from my ever growing stockpile.
YodaMan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,561 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
Looks good Toni!!! Love the paint scheme! :-)

I almost gagged when I read this part:
Quoted Text

Building time: 3 days.

I couldn't have the parts off the sprues in three days! #:-)
Great work!

YodaMan
Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 07:03 AM UTC
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 07:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Marine white markings.

For that scheme, you'd need black markings.
HunterCottage
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,717 posts
AeroScale: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 10:01 AM UTC
I've been trying to say that I think it looks great, but some site error keeps kicking out my comments....

I really was gonna say it looks awesome!! I promise!! (I wonder if Jim has installed some type of software to catch lying...)

I also wanted to boast that I was actually with you when you picked this piece up from the modelshop!! I promise!!
azizmaz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 174 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 11:07 AM UTC
That looks great.
ladymodelbuilder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 1,218 posts
AeroScale: 424 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 02:52 PM UTC
Looks great Toni !!!! :-) I want to get one of those to do.

Plasticbattle
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Donegal, Ireland
KitMaker: 9,763 posts
AeroScale: 35 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 03:01 PM UTC
It doesnt matter how or why you made the model, in my mind, I think it came out OK. Actually the more I look at it, the more I consider making the jump and trying something like this for myself!
SS-74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vatican City
KitMaker: 3,271 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:07 PM UTC
Looked awesome, Toni. Love the scheme as well as how clean you masked the canopy, I always have difficulties to masking canopies.

Actually I hate people like you, you always make a nice and good looking winged or rotor-headed thingy and try to drag honest people like into your dark side....

Nice model!!!!
Whiskey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 252 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 04:17 PM UTC
I agree with the others Toni,this is truly unique.Looks really good man keep up the interesting work lol! #:-)
Envar
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
Posted: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 - 07:00 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments!

Quoted Text

how clean you masked the canopy

I didnīt mask it at all. I first painted the canopy black to have the insides look right and painted light grey over that. There were some painting errors but I scraped those off after it was dry. I just used a toothpick and it didnīt make any scratches...
In my previous life I used to do nothing but aircraft. Now I must admit that itīs not so interesting after all. The fact that I made this for other purpose than my own amusement has its effect I guess. The build itself didnīt offer too much challenge and hated painting the cockpit of this kit and before that was all I was interested in. I had to hold myself back when weathering, I wanted to put more and more dirt in there...Times change.
I think I need a good figure to paint next...

Toni
 _GOTOTOP