Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Spitfire IX finished
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,495 posts
AeroScale: 643 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 12:12 PM UTC
I've just finished this 1/48 Spitfire Mk IX. It is the Hasegawa 1/48 molds re-issued by Revell. The kit is alleged to have problems with the fuselage dimensions but it looks like a spitfire IX so that's good enough for me. The only thing I don't like is the prop spinner which looks way too big!

The decals were from the spares box. Unfortunately the serial numbers which should be on the fuselage band cracked and were useless but they were so small I decided to finish the kit without them.

The kit was airbrushed with Vallejo Air and the panel lines done with a wash in oils. The exhaust and cordite stains were done with Mig powders. Any comments/criticisms welcome.

WingCo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 12 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, May 26, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hey looks like a nice piece of work, shame about the serials have to say that tail section lokks kinda naked without them!!!. Maybe you could get hold of some after market decal sheets of serial nos from Hannants or somewhere, then you could re do them and you would have spare serial nos for any other project you wanted to do.
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 02:49 AM UTC
Nice Spitfire you got there.
What brand and type of paint did you use ? Looks very good
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
Thanks for the nice comments guys.

Quoted Text

Maybe you could get hold of some after market decal sheets of serial nos from Hannants or somewhere, then you could re do them and you would have spare serial nos for any other project you wanted to do.

Hi Colin, the problem is that the codes on the actual aircraft were much smaller than the standard size. I will be checking to see if there any leteraset rub down numbers available in the right size.

Quoted Text

What brand and type of paint did you use?

Carlos I used Vallejo Air acrylics. I am really impressed with this brand of paints, they spray nicely right from the bottle and cover beautifully.
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 03:32 AM UTC
I think your Spit turned out beautiful Martin!
The camo looks great and you've added just the right amount of weathering to my eye. Decals look great and the oil wash really brought it all together.
The only thing I'd question is the wheel well color. Isn't this area supposed to be interrior green? I'm not an expert so I may be the one making a mistake about that and you may be in the right.
Reguardless, you've got a beautiful Spit there. Congradulations!
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 09:21 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The only thing I'd question is the wheel well color. Isn't this area supposed to be interrior green? I'm not an expert so I may be the one making a mistake about that and you may be in the right.

To be honest it's one thing I've never fully got to understand. I've read that the wheelwells were interior green as you suggest, also that they were the same colour as the undersides, also that they may have been bare metal. Being naturally lazy I went with the underside colour!

Since finishing this kit I have found some colour profiles that suggest the maple leaf on the emblem by the cockpit was green. I may have to correct it.
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 12:45 PM UTC
Hi martin nice spit, is that johnnie johnsons plane? if so I have two sets of decals for his plane from the ICM version if your interested.I can send you a set.
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 27, 2006 - 01:08 PM UTC
hi martin! thats a nice looking spitfire there, i should'nt worry too much about your spinner, years ago i built the airfix 1/72 version of this machine and the spinner was half formed. my answer was to use a tailcone from a bv 141 kit as a replacment! looked a bit strange to say the least also i'm sure that the maple leaf was green on that kits decals. anyway here's a pic of me in JE-J when i was the top air display pilot of 1990...........only kidding :-) and no maple leaf visable either
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 07:06 PM UTC
Looks great Martin. I also really like the weathering; it turned out really nice. Do the Vallejo Air come like MM (many, many different colors available) or like Tamiya (you mix colors)?
Leon
brandydoguk
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 08:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Do the Vallejo Air come like MM (many, many different colors available) or like Tamiya (you mix colors)?

Hi Leon, the Vallejo Air come in the appropriate colours, although some of them have strange names - the green for example is called "Olive Grey".
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:54 AM UTC
Sorry Martin, I don't know how I missed this my all time favourite Spitfire of all Spitfires and nicely done You must add the serial, if you can, it is quite a unique feature of this aircraft.. I agree, it certainly looks like a Spitfire Mk IX
Mal
Steelheader
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 46 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 10:27 PM UTC
Martin, I never met a Spitfire that I didn't like. You did a great job on this kit, and I'll wager that few guys if any would have noticed the missing serial numbers.

Your camouflage scheme looks quite realistic. I look forward to seeing more of your work.
 _GOTOTOP