_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Prop Spinner Spirals -Decals
propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 10:33 PM UTC
I had my share of disasters trying to use those decals that come with the kit to create the spiral effect. Mine always dont lay right or the decal tears. Its very hard to do, If someone has a good technique for applying these type of decals, Id like to hear it.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Monday, May 29, 2006 - 11:53 PM UTC
Hi Johnny

a few hints although it often depends on the quality of the decal (was it made for this particular model, thickness, ....)

1. make sure you have painted the spinner smooth and glossy

2. if you have problems putting large decals on try to split them in 2 or 3 parts

3. place the decals carefully and press it on with a lint free cloth

4. when the decal does not fit, make small cuts in the wrinkles with a new sharp scalpel

5. use decal softer ( I prefer Daco, but there are other brands), after you have applied that leave the spinner alone ... the decal will wrinkle and look strange but will smooth out when dried .... if you have misplaced the decal you cannot do much now

6. remove residue with a moist cloth apply semigloss or matt varnish and it will look like painted on ... sometimes (when the decal was no perfect fit) you'll have to "sand"/polish out some wrinkles and/or retouch with some color

with some practice you'll come up with perfect results

HTH

cheers

Steffen

propboy44256
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 1,038 posts
AeroScale: 285 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 08:07 PM UTC
Nice job on the FW190, and thanks for the advice
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 08:27 PM UTC
Hi Johnny

You're welcome ... BTW I just realized that I did not finish one of the sentences (6) ... I've just added the missing sequence

BTW that are two different 190's a Fw 190 A-8 and a D-9... could not find a good photo of my sole Bf 109 with Spiralspinner :-)

best wishes

Steffen
 _GOTOTOP