_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Curious...any interest in a 'Golden Age' GB?
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC
Howdy ALL

I don't mean to be a bother or anything, especially since I've been away for awhile now but....I was curious since there has obviously been a rather impressive surge in 'aviators' here at Armorama, if anyone would be interested in building something from the proverbial "Golden Age" of aviation?

This particular flavour of AC modeling is almost as narrowcast as WWI aircraft modeling presently. But, in an effort to maybe increse that awareness, I propose a wee Group Build consisting of aircraft from this 'Golden Age'......this post is simply an attempt to gauge any interest from the fine membership that gather's here at Armorama.

Please let me know your thoughts, both pro and con are warmly welcomed

Tread.

PostScript: Heck....if nothing else, this might be an opportunity to put some of those splendid old 1/48th scale AMT kits to some use that are being peddled on Ebay

And for the record, I'm presently in the process of building one of those pleasantly over-simplified AMT kits from the 60's and 70's....namely the old "Winnie Mae" kit.......most kewl.

EDIT: Because of the number of ongoing {and queded-up} Campaign's here at Armorama, this would be a GROUP BUILD, not a Campaign. Jim's plate is already full enough, so this would be entirely designed as simply a sharing of common interest, and a chance to build something you've probably never built before....that's all. No medals, no banners, just comaraderie around a mutual endeavour :-)
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 02:50 AM UTC
when i first saw this thread i thought you were proposing a group build of kits from the mid 70's! especialy (for me) classic airfix stuff.
i'm definatly interested though but what timescale are we talking about? personally i would the golden age of aviation from 1920 to 1935
edit- just realised what the header to this section reads-
EARLY AVIATION TO 1935! -doh!
redneck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 1,602 posts
AeroScale: 29 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 03:36 AM UTC
Depends on when you would want to have it.
I’ve got a WWI fighter I started awhile back but then I tried working on it after having surgery (was still on the drugs )
Anyway I will now be stripping it, pulling it apart and rebuilding it.
I’m planing on working on this before the end of the year so If possible I can do it for the groupbuild.
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

personally i would the golden age of aviation from 1920 to 1935

Hi All!

I would also go from 1920 to 1935 for this one. Not that I don't like WW1, in the contrary! But we don't see Golden Age Era aircraft that often in the Forum pages.
This could also be an official Campaign for 2007, what do you think? I believe most of us, me included, have already signed up for more Campaigns than we can manage! :-) I would love to participate to this one but I'm afraid not until next year... would a GeeBee Racer qualify, or a P-26 Peashooter?

Jean-Luc
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:56 AM UTC
Hi Gordon

Count me in! I love Golden Age aviation.

My schedule won't allow me to join in with any more builds this year, so I agree with Jean-Luc about trying to make this an official campaign for 2007. It's a great idea for a build and it'll give me an opportunity to tackle an Aeroclub vacuform - maybe a Gauntlet or Siskin.

All the best

Rowan
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 10:27 PM UTC
Great now I can chop up a Roden Fokker D.VII and put a Packard engine up front with star and meatballs!
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, May 30, 2006 - 11:59 PM UTC
good idea on the campaign for next year, i'm trying to clear a bit of a backlog of campaigns and group builds too, with an eye to spending the back half of this year on my bombs away entry (or entries) ive been wanting to build something like a dragon rapide or a HP42 for a while and something likre this is all the excuse i need!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 12:22 AM UTC
Hi Gordon
This would normally be outside my sphere of interest but having started building WW 1 with Eduards Fokker D.VII it sort of now lands smack in the middle of my intersts, I suppose So yep, I'm up for this.............but what? I need something colourful and historic I think. Any Ideas guys?
Mal
GunTruck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 5,885 posts
AeroScale: 103 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 02:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

EDIT: Because of the number of ongoing {and queded-up} Campaign's here at Armorama, this would be a GROUP BUILD, not a Campaign. Jim's plate is already full enough, so this would be entirely designed as simply a sharing of common interest, and a chance to build something you've probably never built before....that's all. No medals, no banners, just comaraderie around a mutual endeavour :-)

Thanks for the thought 'Tread, and consideration! However, with the blossoming of the KitMaker Network and the launching of the new subsites - I think there's plenty of room for modeling activities. If all interested want a Golden Age Campaign in the new Aeroscale site - I certainly don't see a problem with that!

Gunnie
PolarBear
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 820 posts
AeroScale: 629 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 03:01 AM UTC
I like your idea, TreadHead. I would probably join your group build or a campaign, but with all the great campaigns going on right now it will have to wait until next year for me! Sorry...

Cheers!
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 05:44 AM UTC
Howdy Buckeroo's!

My thx go out to all of you fir taking the time out of your normal Armorama browsing time and chiming in here

to almonkey:
:-) ...no, no....it's not a golden age kit build, it's actually aircraft from the Golden Age.....
I will try to post some pics of a variety of AC from that era to maybe jostle your memory.

to redneck:
Sorry to hear you had surgery...hopefully the drugs helped
As to your referral to a "WWI fighter", are you talking about a Fokker as well?

to Jean-Luc: {my apologies, whenever I say the name "jean-Luc", I think of Captain Picard.....again, sorry Gotta say though.....I just love the name!}
Your kind suggestion to maybe get a Golden Age build placed for consideration for a 2007 Campaign sounds like a dandy idea. I will consider submitting it for proper approval In the meantime though, I was thinking that maybe those of us out there who may not be to overbooked, and have a passing interest might consider a no-pressure/no-timeframe GB just to maybe hone our familiarity gauge a wee bit.......
A quiet little Golden Age GB might create a grassroots interest level that might blossom in time for a 2007 Campaign docket.......never know.

to Rowan:
Many thx for showing your interest dear Sir. Your endorsement is grreatly appreciated, and warms my cockles indeed!......."alive, alive-O!" {inside joke for those Brit's old enough to remember the street vendors...}

No problem with the 2007 timeframe, I understand. I too am overbooked, but since I was building this kit {the "Winnnie Mae"} anyways, and was enjoying it tremendously, and as Jean-Luc said " we don't see Golden Age Era aircraft that often in the Forum pages. ", I just thought a small 'putzing' around build might be a good idea.
BTW, I really like your Gloster Gauntlet and AW Siskin potentials....are these available in vac?

to JackFlash:
Holy Mackeral Stephen!.....didn't expect a response from you But then, you're just probably teasin' an old fart like me aren't ya?
Your suggestion of a D.VII is not entirely surprising though....{ya bugger}, but, if you're going to try to stuff an unholy new engine under the cowlings of that beastie, might I suggest something mooooooore, British?.....say, the overstuffed D.VII with the DH 9 engine in it?
I suppose even the LVA Fokker from {circa} 1930 would work as well......a few to choose from.
But then.......who the heck do I think I'm talking to?.......{this as an upfront apology before you lay enough research on me to make me bleed..... ....please be kind }

to Holdfast:
Howdy Mal, mighty nice to see some interest from you on this And as to it being " normally ... outside my sphere of interest " well, that's what this is all about isn't it?

And, having the opportunity to watch your superb progress over on the 'right Royal Fokker' thread makes me think that only good things can come of your participation....and if that's in 2007, no worries.....
BTW, I am also heavily focused on WWI as of late {both in the air and on the ground}, so bully for you for building such an excellent example of the late war AC
As to colourful ideas....just give me a click, I can suggest up a storm!

to Jim :

A most warm "Howdy" to you Pard'

As for the "... Thanks for the thought 'Tread, and consideration!..." You know I've got your back

Long time no yakkity-yak with you there Jim, huh? I truly miss the old days, when I was fortunate enough to have your council and your supportive ear.
But, as always, and true to who you are, you are again supportive! Many thx for letting us all know about the blossoming KitMaker Network and the new, successful Aeroscale site. Maybe I should have originally posted this thread over there? So much for teaching an old dog {me} any 'new' tricks.....

Many thx for taking the time to stop by and say a few words there Jim, it's always good to hear the voice of someone who works as hard as you do in the background around here to keep the big 'A' machine purring......you're definitely one of the 'unsung' heroes mi compadre'

Tread.
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 06:07 AM UTC
I think 1920-ish to 1935-ish is "Golden Age".
2007 is fine for me.
Don't care if GB or Campaign.
Military and Civilian allowed ?
-- I have 1/48 P-6E, P-12, A-8, A-12, P-30, a few others, all in the queue.
-- I'm resisting urge to got pure Brit "Silver Wings".
-- I'd like to get some of the GA that later flew with the CAP, especially from Manteo (see signature block).

John
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 10:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Many thx for letting us all know about the blossoming KitMaker Network and the new, successful Aeroscale site. Maybe I should have originally posted this thread over there?

Hi Gordon

No - you were absoloutely right to post here; the Aeroscale forum won't be functional until about a month's time. But when it is, I hope everyone will enjoy the extra scope it will allow to cover Aircraft categories in much more detail.

All the best

Rowan
redneck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, May 31, 2006 - 04:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry to hear you had surgery...hopefully the drugs helped
As to your referral to a "WWI fighter", are you talking about a Fokker as well?

I’m not positive if it would work for the build or not right now.
I have a Nieuport type 17 I was thinking of converting to an Siemens Schukert D1but I’m not positive when the plane went into service. I was thinking it was after the war but looking into it a little it may have been produced earlier then I thought.
If any of you know when the plane want into production could you let me know?

It was only a dental surgery back in January. I think the drugs helped just not as much as I would have liked.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

"...I have a Nieuport type 17 I was thinking of converting to an Siemens Schukert D.I but I’m not positive when the plane went into service. I was thinking it was after the war but looking into it a little it may have been produced earlier then I thought.
If any of you know when the plane want into production could you let me know?

Here is a bit of fun from my website.
"...It was the 6th of March 1917 when three Sopwith 1 ½ Strutters from 45 Sqdn RFC were engaged in a photographic mission. They recognized five approaching silhouettes as Nieuports from the neighboring #1 Sqdn. They were wrong. The new fighters proved to be Siemens-Schuckert ‘s production D.I types. The confusion was after all understandable, the prototype of the German fighter was based dimensionally on the French designed, Nieuport 11/16 types. The D.I type was outwardly, very comparable to the French Nieuport 16, from its single machine gun armament to the camouflage applications. The military need to match the Bebe’s performance capabilities led to its virtual copy by several German aviation firms. In November1916 the Siemens Schuckert Werke had received an order for 150 of the D.I types. Another order was received for 170 more aircraft in March 1917, but it was canceled by about July 1917. The complex production of the chosen power plant, the Siemens-Halske Sh. I (100hp) became the major factor in production delays. With this ‘Counter Rotary’ the Propeller and Crankshaft turned in one direction while the Cylinders turn in the opposite direction. Only 93 of the S.S.W. D.I types reached front line operation. We are told another 55 uncovered airframes were delivered to Adlershof..."

http://www.wwi-n-plastic.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=68
redneck
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 - 12:55 AM UTC
Thanks for the info Stephen.
I saw it previously and thought I replied then but I guess I didn’t.

Anyway with my last idea out I’ll give this a try. The Curtiss Goshawk on the left. I think this one meats the timefram.

Depends on what I’m working on at the time but I’ll try to fit it in.

JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Monday, June 26, 2006 - 09:03 AM UTC
I am up for it--but then again I want to build everything!!!

If I can work it in, count me in!

Fred
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 02:10 AM UTC
This definately seems to have a growing interest. It could be inclusive to prototypes. There were a lot during this time period.
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - 03:16 AM UTC
Wow, sorry guys. Didn't know this thread was still alive......my bad

Here I am starting it and forgetting about it......sheeesh! I really need to get better glasses

For the record I'm very glad to see some interest coming this way. And as you say Stephen, there was a lot of experimentation going on at the time, both aviation pioneer-wise, as well as aviation technology-wise.

This time period ushered in a multitude of changes and innovations...it was most definitely a 'transition' time for aviation as a whole.
Not only did some of the most sleek and beautiful aircraft come from this period, but like turn-of-the-century ships, there was also a rather interesting combination of technologies that had to be 'grown' through. If one desires, one can also include the whole airline industry as well. I don't know about you fellas but, I personally regard Howard Hughes creation, the Constellation, one of the most elegant airliners ever built...{an aircraft that was also used quite extensively by the military}
In fact, I still have plans for my Heller {there's that name again} 1/72nd scale Conny to don the clothes of the early Blue Angels support ship.

Serving as an example of the aviation "transition" time, and a likely comparison to the "turn-of-the-century ships" I mentioned, I submit the kit I am building right now in sunny Florida {the only kit I have at the time }
It's the DeHavilland Model 89 Dragon Rapide, Talk about "transition" aircraft, this puppy is an 8-passenger airliner {originally} that is composed of a mid-sized airliner style fuselage, with World War I style biplane wing surfaces {with struts, tension cables and all}, twin cowled engine nacelles, with German Stuka style landing gear fairings!
Pretty darn 'Platypus' {sp?} if you ask me

Anyway...my point was; that your choices are quite the smorgasborg!

......now I'll shut up.

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP