_GOTOBOTTOM
Rotary Wing
Discuss helicopters and other rotary wing aircraft from any era.
Got the CH-53E!
Mech-Maniac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 53 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC
Got it in the mail a few days ago for a really good price, on sale for 53 bucks! so it came out to be 61 bucks with shipping. Some sites were asking $89.00 just for the kit!

Here are some pictures of it, its big (and sexy :-) )
I can tell its going to come out to be a great kit.

Any recommendations for the non skid surface? It comes with decals for those parts, but I don't know if I want to use them.

Anywho...here she is: (used a 1 foot ruler to show approximate size)

yes, that is also a 1:1 scale banana

alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
KitMaker: 5,609 posts
AeroScale: 5,231 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 03:05 AM UTC
Hi Shain

the first pic shows how excited you were/are .... and will it get the US Marines "Freud" Camo ?

I do not see a naked woman on the beach :-)

cheers

Steffen
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 07:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do not see a naked woman on the beach

You ain't lookin' hard enough Steffen. She's got some really nice upperhalf augmentation.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 08:24 AM UTC
I am SO looking forward to getting my hands on this kit. My plans are to scratchbuild as much as possible. I’ve be gathering up interior and exterior reference ever since I heard about it’s release. How about you Shain...whats your plans!

Joe
Mech-Maniac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Friday, June 16, 2006 - 12:18 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Shain

the first pic shows how excited you were/are .... and will it get the US Marines "Freud" Camo ?

So it did come out a little bit blurry, okay okay :-)
If I had the airbrush talent like that, it sure would have a pretty little lady on it.

Quoted Text

I am SO looking forward to getting my hands on this kit. My plans are to scratchbuild as much as possible. I’ve be gathering up interior and exterior reference ever since I heard about it’s release. How about you Shain...whats your plans!

Joe

I was looking forward to the release since Academy first let the cat out of the bag!

My plans are: to finish all my other models in the next few weeks, then dad and I will start working on this.

Dad was a CH-53E engine mechanic when he was in the Marine Corps, so he is also very excited. So this is out little joint modeling project for the summer.

The main thing I want to do with it is replace the "non skid" decals with real non skid on the helicopter, this goes on the ramp and over the sponsons. How I'm going to do that...I dont know. Suggestions? please?

I'm not 100% sure how it will be displayed. The choices are:

1. Rotors out in "flying mode" with ramp up.
2. same, but with ramp down as sometimes they do fly like that (it gets hot)
3. Rotors folded, and the tail assembly folded as well. Choices choices...

Right now I'm leaning towards the rotors out to display its impressive span (about 18 inches)

Dont know what squadron I'm going to build it from.
The choices are...(I'm pulling this from my head right now so sorry if the #s are wrong) HMH-464 out of Tuston,CA (overall green), HMH-463 out of New River,TN (gray with green and black camo stripes) or HMH-461 'IRONHORSE' which was/is serving in Operation Iraqi Freedom.

I'll probably go for HMH-461 because as a little kid I remember seeing all the CH-53Es all gray. We lived right on base, probably about a 5 minute drive from the birds.

Joe-
Would you care to share some references? I've also been trying to get more...even though my dad knows a ton of information, can't hurt if I get more. Also, if you have any questions, PM me and I can ask my dad...I hope 21 years around these helicopters gave him some knowledge :-)

-Shain
VonCuda
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 2,216 posts
AeroScale: 1,080 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 06:31 AM UTC
Shain,
just a thought, but 1000 grit sandpaper might work for the non skid surfaces. I have some sitting here on my bench and sure looks like it would be the right scale and color if you could just figure out a way to attach it.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
Hey Shain, sure no problem on sharing what references I gathered. Most of what I have I got of the net. I'll PM you on some of the links.

As for the "non skid" surface, well you can go along with what VonCuda suggests, which isn't a bad idea. But what I like to use/do is lay down a coat of dull coat with a brush and sprinkle on some baking soda. Just pile it on and in about an hour or two just brush off the excess. This method also works for the non-skid on armor vehicles. I've also seen results using ( I think it’s called) "Mr. Surfacers". It looks almost the same as I described above.

Looking forward to seeing the start...

Joe
WingTzun
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 853 posts
AeroScale: 137 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 07:59 AM UTC
So what's on the opposite side?
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 08:56 AM UTC
Dave,
I’m assuming your talking about what is on the opposite side of the CH-53, another profile of a female figure. For the life of me I just can’t find that pic…somebody!
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Saturday, June 17, 2006 - 10:45 AM UTC
Opposite Side

Hey mother I am not sure if you are right, becaus the other photo I know shows the starboard side of no. 65 (this is no. 70)

pic later

cheers

Steffen

Mech-Maniac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 12:56 AM UTC
The sandpaper is a good idea, as well as the baking soda, I'll pick both up and test the baking soda on another sheet.

Do you spray some dullcoat on after you've applied the baking soda and paint?

I have seen Mr. Surfacer, but there is a "500" and a "1000" brand, I don't know which one would work best to be quite honest, as I've never used either.
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 01:10 AM UTC
I amost forgot to look for more pix

Look here for more:

ARC Walk around

While searching I found this one:

Link to original site

how cool is that ... I think I need such a thing for my weekly shopping tour

cheers

Steffen
DutchBird
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,144 posts
AeroScale: 123 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 01:24 AM UTC
Steffen, based on your last pic,

is that Bart Simpson near the nose? And just behind him there seem to be some very shapely legs...
alpha_tango
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Germany
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi Harm

look at the given link (pic 5) ... I would rather say it is a palm

cheers

Steffen
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 01:29 AM UTC
Hey Shain,
Yeah you can spray and paint when the baking soda has dried. This is how it's done...mask off the area to be done, then I like to hand brush the area with dull coat or even Future Floor Wax. Again just brush a light coat and then sprinkle on the soda. When it has dried then knock off the excess. After that just go about you normal modeling, you know painting and weathing. Yeah give it a try on some scrap, you may have to try it a few times to get it right, just as with any other new modeling tips...it works pretty well. Good luck man

Joe
Mech-Maniac
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
Posted: Sunday, June 18, 2006 - 10:41 AM UTC
Thanks for the steps Mother. Does this require priming (forgot to ask)?
 _GOTOTOP