_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Red Baron's triplane - interior colour
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 02:17 AM UTC
i'm going to make a start on the triplane sent to me by merlin. however i was wondering what would the colour of the fabric on the inside be? would the red of the outside "tint" the inside colour reddish, or would it be something else? and have i just asked a question that historians have been argueing about for 90 years?
TreadHead
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
AeroScale: 370 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 03:25 AM UTC
Howdy Phil,

I've got some pictures of both a DR.1 cockpit from that era, as well as a new reconstructed version...I will look for them.
But I'm sure someone else will be along shortly to provide you with what you need....I'll still look tho'

Tread.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Friday, June 30, 2006 - 07:17 AM UTC
Interior fabric of Dr.I 425/17 was Clear Doped Linen. But evidently the metal seat back that was normally covered in CDL fabric was in fact painted the same red colour. The seat still exists in the Royal Military Institute in Canada. There were over 200 eyelets around the back perimeter that allowed the fabric to be stitched in place.

See; Richthofen by A E (ED) Ferko. This is a superb record of Germany's leading fighter pilot, which also includes detailed appendices and notes. There are 203 photos (many hitherto unpublished) that trace the Baron's WWI career. 84 pages offer a unique, fresh insight into Germany's Ace of Aces; also included are 4 colour pages with 15 colour profiles of the Baron's aeroplanes. £21.00

http://www.windsockdatafilespecials.com/stock.html

_GOTOTOP