World War II: USA
Aircraft of the United States in WWII.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Williams Bros. kits
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 08:12 AM UTC
I ran across a couple of old Williams Bros. kits. One is a C-46 Curtiss Commando (1/72), and the other is a P-35 Seversky fighter (larger scale-1/32?). Are these kits geared towards more experienced aircraft builders or are they worth holding onto to try to build?
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 09:37 AM UTC
Hi Sabot,

I built the B-10 long ago. It was better than the average late 1970's kits. A Tamiya, Hasegawa, or even Monogram model they ain't, but a craftsman kit they are not, either.

I had the C-46 and it had flash. Otherwise it seemed to be a nice kit, though I didn't build it.

FWIW,

Fred
Grumpyoldman
Staff Member_ADVISOR
KITMAKER NETWORK
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 15,338 posts
AeroScale: 836 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 05, 2006 - 03:04 PM UTC
I've built several Williams Brothers kits, over the years.
I would put them in a class of better limited run, not for the novice as all the ones I've built do require some scratch building plus plenty of room for super detailing,and the plans are laid out for the more experienced builders.
Since the original Williams Brothers are no longer alive or in business, they disappeared for a while, and most advocates of their kits snapped them up. (I did) more for my own personal use then speculation for future sales.
I've built several of there P-35's and always found them an enjoyable challenge. I've never built the C-46.

I believe someone down in Texas bought the Williams Brothers Company, and part of the deal was not to change anything is the original way they were made, packaged or sold, but they were allowed to develope new kits using the Company name. I'd recommend them to any aircraft builder looking for an enjoyable challenge to sharpen their skills.

Some that I built over the years were:
B-10
Corbin
Fliver
B-247
World Cruisers
P-35
Auto-gyro

Alast, no photos or finished models left, floated down the Passaic River years ago, and like my X-wife, didn't even wave good-bye.
md72
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 4,950 posts
AeroScale: 3,192 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 01:08 AM UTC
I've got the C-46 in the stash. Looked at it lots of times, seems like it's got the parts to build several different variants. IIRC there are two sets of propeller blades. But.... it's going to take a better builder than I am to get this one done.
Red4
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
AeroScale: 1,164 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 02:35 AM UTC
Rob,
I have several of the WB kits on my shelves. I began collecting them about a year ago due to their unique subject matter. I have seen some of these beauties built up and they are beautiful kits. I have gotten as far as taping mine together with low tack masking tape to check the fit and I liked what I saw,. but I'd rate them for more experienced builders, but I don't think you'd have too hard a time with any of their kits. Just some time and patience is all that is required on the builders part. What I have on hand
Gee Bee "Z" Racer
B-10
J-5 Radial engine
Wedell Williams Racer
Ford Flivver
Northrup Gamma
Corben Super Ace
C-46
B-247

Never know unitl you try. Have fun. "Q"
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
AeroScale: 287 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 06, 2006 - 03:20 AM UTC
Based on the responses I got here and at HyperScale, I think I will pass them on to modelers who have the proper skills and desire to actually build them.
airraid
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 277 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 03:57 AM UTC
Hi Robin
I built the P35 about twenty years ago I found that with a bit of care it made up into a very nice model.I would consider that at that time I would say that I was an average modeller.It was one of the first aircraft that I built after modelling armour for about 10 years.Remember when these kits were produced for the advanced modeller I was 30 years old.If I saw it again I would certainly give it a go .

Dennis
jRatz
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,171 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 08, 2006 - 06:33 AM UTC
I've been looking for their Pitcairn Autogiro -- if Williams Bros are coming back, I'm hoping that gets re-released ...

John
 _GOTOTOP