_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
wash problems
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,933 posts
AeroScale: 89 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:27 AM UTC
evening all, im building a Spitfire and last night i put a wash on it to pick out the panel lines ,hatches,etc when i applied it i wiped off the excess only to have the whole wash come off leaving me back at square one,Im using Humbrol matt black and their thinners,now this is my first plane i usually do armour,am i being to heavy handed or what.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hi John.
A bit more info please. Did you loose the wash or the paintwork underneath as well,,and did you apply a barrier,,ie Klear,,over the main paintwork before starting the wash?
Nige
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 01:43 AM UTC
You may have been quite lucky in that you didn't stain the entire model or lift the base colors and ruuin the decals.
Next time, take a very fine brush and dip that in your wash mix. Applpy it panel lines where they join. Capillary action will draw the mix al;ong the panel line. Do not cover the entire airplane. .
Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 02:43 AM UTC
I did put a coat of kleer/future on and used a oo artist sable to apply the wash I didnt lose any base coat just all the wash I even tried the sludge method,I used a cotton bud to remove any extra wash but it soaks it up from the panel lines as well should i let it dry a bit before cleaning up. thanks for your help.
mother
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 3,836 posts
AeroScale: 1,036 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 02:47 AM UTC
Hey John,
When applying a wash this is what works best for me. First I have to say that I use oils, but I also used paints using this technique.

1) Apply my base color and decals

2) Spray on a clear coat, I like to use Future Floor Wax. It dries real fast and I can start my wash within 5-6 hours.

3) Apply the wash where need, and I’m not really that careful about it. (pic)

4) Now with using oils I like to wait like 2-3 hours, that’s me and it works. For paints you also have to give it some time to set up. Not a lot of time. To wipe off I like to use Q-tips. And when wiping off I’ll wipe in the direction of flight. Using the Q-tips gives you a better idea and handle of what’s coming off. Now just give the wash a chance to dry fully, then I like to clear coat it again with the Future. (pic)

I've seen and read many ways of washing an aircraft, and I've tried them all. I have to say this was the best one that worked for me.

Easy_Co
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 10:44 AM UTC
Hi Joe,I think you may have nailed the problem for me, I think I was cleaning up to soon,I also like the idea of oils I might give them a try.many thanks
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Friday, July 07, 2006 - 02:50 PM UTC
Hi John.
Glad to hear you look as though your on top of this.
I too have a tendancy to remove the excess a bit early and take it off.
Of course,one of the great things about Klear is that if you put too much wash on you can also remove it easily as well,so its a win win situation.
Some people thin their oils with pure turpentine which seems to flow along the panel lines better than a paint/thinners mix.
A word of caution though,dont use isopropyl alcohol to thin a wash,(I use this to thin Acrylics),as it will remove the Klear.
I hope you'll be able to share some photos of the Spit with us all when its finished.
Nige
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 01:05 AM UTC
So if you don't use alcohol, can you use plain water as a thinner if you are using acrylic wash with a touch of dish soap to break down surface tension?

-Derek
newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 04:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So if you don't use alcohol, can you use plain water as a thinner if you are using acrylic wash with a touch of dish soap to break down surface tension?

-Derek

Yes, that is what I do. Water, soap, and the acrylic. As long as the clear is nice and glossy, I haven't had trouble with that at all.
Leon
Percheron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 432 posts
AeroScale: 360 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 09:22 AM UTC
Thanks so much!

I hope to be doing a wash on my 1/48 Stuka tomorrow, if I can get some touch up painting done.

-Derek
Bigskip
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 2,487 posts
AeroScale: 575 posts
Posted: Friday, October 06, 2006 - 12:39 PM UTC
John

If you use oils and work indoors with company i can recommend odourless thinners from your local art shop - a bit pricey, but no smell and no earache from SWMBO. Works as well as turps.

HTH

Andy
 _GOTOTOP