_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
P/E and suitable tools....?
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,707 posts
AeroScale: 1,119 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 07:31 PM UTC
Since I've never worked with before, I'm curious as to which way to fold and if there's any suitable tools for this kind of work?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:35 PM UTC
Greeetings Lucky13;

Photoetch is a great way to detail model kits. It has a long history beginning with model rail road hobby-ists. The first workable sets for WWI aviation came through Harry Woodman. A stellar modeller from the UK. He is truly the man that put the scratch in stratchbuilding. His sets are still available by the way through Fotocut at Rosemont Hobbies.

Which way to fold?
If they have been designed correctly the scribed face is what is to be folded. The scribed area should be inside the fold.

Which tools are suitable?
There are several methods but I find that a small drafting ruler, a sharp Xacto #11 blade, tweezers and an opitvisor are the best. There are jigs you can buy to clamp at hold while you fold. But I have never found the use for them when I can do the job with a little patience. It is usually very easy to handle if you follow a couple of guidelines. With pre-painted parts you will want to separate them first or be prepared to repaint them.

1. Use candle or lighter heat to pass the PE metal fret over until you see the temper of the metal change colours. Nickel silver (which is neither nickel or silver) photoetch may take a bit longer to heat compared to plain brass. Just keep a close eye on the colour. Some blueing ok. You want it bendable but avoid making the parts brittle. 15-20 seconds under a heat source is ok but 2 minutes is too much. Also the smaller the part the quicker it will loose temper.

2. Bend as much as you can reasonably do. and paint each part while still on the tree.

3. The clear bag that the PE metal comes in...Is a great tool. While the parts are still on the tree put the fret back in the bag. It is the best time to cut them loose. (Parts will stay in the bag and not fly off into the modeler's black hole. ) Cut the bottom corner out of the bag to allow only the parts you cut from the tree to exit the bag.

4. Use tweezers and an opitvisor. finish forming the part for exact fit by tacking it in place at one end and with the tip of a finger (away from the glue) form the piece to the surface and then finish any glueing needed. Viola!

The standard method for surfacing PE brass for painting is to use Hobby Black. It is a very mild acid that textures and patinas the surfaces without sanding and possible damaging the delicate parts. Follow all instructions that come with the liquid solution and you can get great results.

Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 10:46 PM UTC
*pen moves quickly as he takes notes*

Cheers O' Mighty One!

Removed by original poster on 07/12/06 - 01:03:36 (GMT).
Gunny
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 6,705 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Monday, July 10, 2006 - 11:11 PM UTC
Hello, mate...
Check out these tools here on site for a couple of good folding options!
Good luck and have fun with it!!
FOLD

~Gunny
Lucky13
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 11, 2006 - 12:12 AM UTC
Cheers Gunny!!

_GOTOTOP