_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
One of the most beautiful aircraft
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 10:23 PM UTC
In my opinion one of the most beautiful aircraft to grace the sky's. The Hawker Hunter F6.
1/48 Academy kit, built OOB. Xtracrylics paints used for the camo and Alclad Aluminium for the underneath. Several coats of satin varnish was used to dull down the underneath as this is the closest i can get to recreating the Speed Silver the R.A.F used. It is a lot duller in the flesh.
The box decals were used, and in my opinion they are some of the most horrible decals i have used. They don't like conforming to the panel lines even with buckets of Micro Sol and Set used.
Markings are for No. 6 Squadron, R.A.F 1960.
Comments welcome as always .
Andy

lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 11:16 PM UTC
Fabulous Andy!
Love the general finish and the weathering,especially on the underside is very well done.
A definate contender for Augusts MOM mate.
Really well done!
Nige
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 11:26 PM UTC
Hi Andy

I know Academy's Hunter has come in for its fair share of criticism, but you've made it look great! I've had a few cases of ultra-stubborn decals. I've heard there are (at least) two different ways of printing decals - one of which is impervious to softening/setting solutions.

I quite agree about the Hunter being among the most beautiful of the early jets - even with the cannon bulges and air-brake it completely outshines the Swift. A classic case of "if it looks right, it IS right"!

All the best

Rowan
almonkey
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,124 posts
AeroScale: 788 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 15, 2006 - 11:48 PM UTC
that hunter looks brilliant andy!
it seems so ironic to me that ten years earlier a supermarine aircraft eclipsed a hawker machine, but hawkers built an aircraft i always felt was a jet "spitfire" and not many people have heard of the swift
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 01:58 AM UTC
Yep goto agree, one of the best looking jets ever and you have done a superb job. The only points I can make are that the ordnance could do with some markings, a light green fill band midway along the body, but could have been near the front. The roundels look a bit bright but that may be due to your photography as I know that you stuff always looks even better in the flesh. I look forward to seeing this, nice one Andy
Mal
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 03:48 AM UTC
Oh, Lord, how to make yourself the most unpopular man, on the forum. The model is beautifully done, and your choice of silver, for the underside, is correct, but, only a Hunter with a massive hydraulic problem would have the airbrake deployed, on the ground. There is an interlock, which prevents the airbrake operating, when the u/c is down. Yes, I know Sorry,
Edgar
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 11:58 AM UTC
Hi Edger,
Don't worry, this forum thrives on constructive criticism and I know that Andy won't mind, plus it helps others, me get it right. It is always great to have a knowledgable member chip in. So thanks for your input
Mal
betheyn
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 16, 2006 - 07:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh, Lord, how to make yourself the most unpopular man, on the forum. The model is beautifully done, and your choice of silver, for the underside, is correct, but, only a Hunter with a massive hydraulic problem would have the airbrake deployed, on the ground. There is an interlock, which prevents the airbrake operating, when the u/c is down. Yes, I know Sorry,
Edgar

That will teach me not to read the instructions :-) . Thanks for pointing that out Edgar, i didn't know that, i thought it was to help with the braking on landing. I put it in the down position as i thought it looked rather cool deployed. I'll put it in a dio with a couple of mechanics looking at it .
Thanks for the responses guys. This is one aircraft that had been in my stash way to long and had to be built. I'll have to find the Swift next as that's a cool looking plane as well. Mind you all British planes are cool .
Andy
 _GOTOTOP