_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Skyray, 1/48 Tamiya
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 09:54 PM UTC
This one sat on the shelf 80% finished for a good 5 years. Got it down, dusted it off and finished it last weekend.

Its the Tamiya 1/48 kit with Cutting Edge decals in the markings of the USN Test pilots school - the last Ford in service! Was supposedly used by the TPS to train the students in flying an aircraft with poor handling qualities

This machine is now at the USMC A-G musuem in Quantico.

betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 10:37 PM UTC
A very nice and colourful subject Neil, and a nice bit of history to boot.
Its not often you see the Skyray modelled. I remember building the Airfix 1/72nd kit when i was a lad. I will definitely have to look out for the Tamiya 1/48th kit.
Andy
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 17, 2006 - 11:21 PM UTC
Hi Neal

Thats a nice clean build you've got there. The "Ford" is one of the classic jets of its time. With so many colourful squadron markings. Now if only someone will kit an injection moulded F5D Skylancer

David
RedwingNev
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 911 posts
AeroScale: 415 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:57 AM UTC
Thanks guys.

Andy the kit is good but there are 2 problem areas - which I've seen other reviewers mention. I had problems getting the blanking plate/engine intake to fit inside the fuselage without a lot of grinding and scraping. That, and the warning decals on the intakes which just will not fit - the come as one piece. I ended up cutting mine and applying huge amounts of Klear/Future to get them to conform then touched up with red paint. As long as you don't look to close it looks OK :-) Others have ended up painting the warnings on.

Other than that typical Tamiya. 3 colourful options in the box, lots of stores options.
 _GOTOTOP