_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Stitching and lacings WWI eduard set
mpalao
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 243 posts
AeroScale: 70 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 04:34 PM UTC
Hi, I have these sets in my home from time ago. I have the confusion about the differences between them. In the WWI aircrafts I see in the upper fuselage near to the pilot's seat the classic lacing and also anytimes in the wings, but...... I donīt know because eduard have two sets with similar appearance (this is my eye view .......I need sunglasses). I see them and I donīt see the differences. Can someone explain to me this question ?.
Thanks to everybody and Regards from Spain.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2006 - 11:45 PM UTC
Lacings

Stitching

Careful study of high resolution reference images will help reveal their uses.

Lacings were crossed and seen on fuselage areas where fabric sections could be pulled back for repairs. Usually seen only on fuselage ares.

The stitchings were single run and were also used on fuselage areas where fabric areas could be cut and pulled back for repairs. JMHO.

Did Eduard include any instructions with these?

mpalao
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 03:38 AM UTC
Thanks Stephen, yes but then I only see the difference when I used it by the germany aircrafts and allies aircrafts. In the Windsock datafiles , normaly I see the lacings references but I donīt see the stitchings.

These are the Eduard instruction sheets.

Thanks Stephen, I am confused.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 04:00 AM UTC
From the Laws of Modeling.
Rule # 16. The kit instructions, may be very interesting, but are 95% of the time irrelevant.

Photo references are the key.
mpalao
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2006 - 04:45 PM UTC
Thanks Stephen, I'm sure about that. I have not seen still the stitchings in the reference books. I need make new investigations. Eduard have the secret.
Thanks Stephen.
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 11:24 PM UTC
Lacings join two areas of fabric. These ares usually have reinforced edges with eyelet perforations. Stitching is usually applied to areas where wooden structures are under the fabric skin. cloth battens are applied to the wood rib caps and then the fabric stretched and nailed in place has the are over the ribcaps sewn to the cloth battens. Finally rib taped are dope inplace over the stiching.
 _GOTOTOP