_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Early jet camo???
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,240 posts
AeroScale: 743 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:42 AM UTC
Hi All...
it seems that pictures and schemes for post war jets are predominantly silver or all metal.
I wondered if anyone has references or knows of a site that shows more conventional camo colour schemes?

I'm looking for refs of the following...

F-86 1 and 3 Sabres
Dassault MD 450 Ourangan
MiG 15
SABB J-29
SABB J 32 Lansen
Grumman F9F Panther

Your help would be highly appreciated...

Many thanks
Cheers
Peter

:-)
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 01:16 PM UTC
Hi Peter!

Almost all French early jets were all metal (at least the prototypes)! Maybe with a red line on the side or something like that.

I will check in my refs...

Jean-Luc
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 01:54 PM UTC
Thanks Jean Luc...

I found a small pic of the Ourangan in a patchy camo in 2 shades of sort of olive green and light beige/grey uppers and light grey unders. But no insignia is visible. It has deep blue and white nose bands and rudder "bars". It looks sort of Greek? or Israeli.

However...I did find an excellent set of scale drawings for it at VAR Aviation thanks to "air raid" Dennis's tip.

I found a fair range of refs for the MiG 15. Some not all metal.

Cheers and thanks again

Peter
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 05:04 PM UTC
Hi again... Jean Luc...

Another question please.

You wouldn't know the cockpit colours for French fighters of the time would you?

Again many thanks
Peter
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 08:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I found a small pic of the Ourangan in a patchy camo in 2 shades of sort of olive green and light beige/grey uppers and light grey unders. But no insignia is visible. It has deep blue and white nose bands and rudder "bars". It looks sort of Greek? or Israeli.

However...I did find an excellent set of scale drawings for it at VAR Aviation thanks to "air raid" Dennis's tip.

I found a fair range of refs for the MiG 15. Some not all metal.

Cheers and thanks again

Peter

Hi Peter,
Israeli Ouragan's wore a camo colour of Pale Sand/Slate Blue over, Pale Grey under and Tan/Dark Green over, Pale Grey under, with white, and then black serial under the cockpit.

A J-32 Lansen of the Swedish air force, haven't a clue on the colours though .

You have probably seen all these in your own search :-) .
Andy
Tigercat
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:31 PM UTC
Hi Peter

F9F Panthers were almost all gloss sea blue. There where however some exceptions. The XF9F-2 was natural metal and lacked the tip tanks. An F9F-2 (123564) was finished in a two tone experimental scheme of Glossy sea blue over Light Grey. There was also VF-153's Blue Tailed Fly Which was a natural metal aircraft with a Glossy sea blue tail section. There were a number of natural metal Panthers in squadron service.
Argentinas Panthers were Gull Grey with White undersides.

David
CRS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,936 posts
AeroScale: 1,168 posts
Posted: Monday, July 24, 2006 - 11:56 PM UTC
Peter - You may find this site helpful http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww3/f/11.

You've hit upon and area that I've been trying to work with myself, of late. I've been trying to do something other than NMF on early jets, but find it difficult.

As I'm sure you are aware, the "Early Jet Years" following WW II, were the years of the Interceptor not the Fighter. The F-86 and Mig-15 were designed to intercept the other fellows Bombers (though the did wind up chasing each other around the sky for a while). Early jets were thought of as Interceptors and therefore had no need for camo at least from a US and USSR view point.

For "conventional camo" schemes you are more likely to find nice ones on "export" aircraft for the F-86 both the RCAF and Helenic Air Force had some nice schemes, for the Mig-15 look to the former "Eastern Block " countries. By the time these machine were exported they had seen a slight change in role to Attack / Ground Support and their forward deployment justified camo.

As for the Panther most sported good old Dark Sea Blue or Ghost Gray paint jobs. Being carrierborne they didn't have much need for "conventional" camo. Many of the Cougar versions sported a White overall with Day Glow Orange Markings.

I do find the 50's and 60's markings of US jets interesting though. They sure weren't trying to hide them with the Silver or NMF with the colorful Red and Yellow sometimes very artistic markings.
flitzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 25, 2006 - 04:18 PM UTC
Thanks one and all...
some very good pointers.

Andy and David big thanks...great pics.

And Chuck, if I find anything that may be of interest to you I'll pass it on.

I'm a bit crippled with computer access at the moment due to moving to a new office, but when I can I will be on-line as much as I can until we are settled in the new shed.

Bye for now and many thanks
Peter
 _GOTOTOP