_GOTOBOTTOM
General Aircraft: Tips & Techniques
Discussions on specific A/C building techniques.
Weathering with pastels and Klear
jetprovost
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 111 posts
AeroScale: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hi all

I've just started my 1/24 Spitfire Mk Vb and wanted to find a way of creating a wash effect without oil paint (basically because I havent got any!) All I did was brush some pastel dust onto the parts (undercarriage leg and hub), brush over it with Klear, wipe off the excess and voila! The pastel is nicely sealed in and it is literally a 30 second job.

I'm really pleased with the finished job and I'll definitely use this technique again.

Harri
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Harri.
Necessity is the Mother of Invention.
Thats a great little tip and I'll give it a try myself.
Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 27, 2006 - 11:33 PM UTC
Thanks. I´ll try it. It looks good.
jetprovost
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 02:18 PM UTC
The one thing to make sure is that you wipe it off pretty quickly before the Klear dries otherwise you get a bit of a smeary mess!

Harri
caanbash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ankara, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,093 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 04:21 PM UTC
Yes, this is a quick and easy technique. I do not know what Klear is, but I use this technique by mixing chalk (or pastel) with isopropyl alcohol and applying it with thin brush as a wash. You can make manipulations even after it is dry, because the pastel does not dissolve, it just muves with the liquid and it settles where it goes. After drying you can smear with pieces of cotton and even clean with Blu-Tack or Tack-It where you don't want it to be.

Regards.
Cagin
LuckyBlunder
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
AeroScale: 163 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 03, 2006 - 10:49 PM UTC
Harri -

Is the wash applied to the tire? I've always tried for a realistic tire but it's difficult to do. If the grey area of the tire is the wash you applied, I think you've done it! Looks terrific!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 03:02 PM UTC
Neat idea Harri and a nice looking effect. I have experimented with making a wash with acrylic paint and Klear (Future in the US) with vearying results.

Quoted Text

Is the wash applied to the tire?

Steve, No the tyres on the Airfix 1/24 Spitfire are rubber and I believe the weathering on them hase been done more or less like the real thing, I'll let Harri explain
Mal
jetprovost
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, August 04, 2006 - 07:36 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Is the wash applied to the tire?

Steve, I have to admit I've never been a fan of rubber tyres (how to make them look realistic) and afetr thinking for it a while I decided the best way to make them look like a rel tyre was to treat them like a real tyre. So, after rubbing off the mold line I took them outside, found a piece of concrete in the garden that had a liberal sprinkling of very dry soil on it and proceeded to rub the tread of the tyre with quite a bit of pressure onto the concrete. I also gave the rest of the tyre a rub over with the dust to take the shine off it. And there it is.

Harri
 _GOTOTOP