_GOTOBOTTOM
Pre-Flight Check
Constructive critique of your finished or in-progress photos.
Spifire Mk IXc
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,941 posts
AeroScale: 1,040 posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 05:02 AM UTC
Hi guys:

Here Iīm again, this time with a Hasegawa Mk IXc in 1/48 scale.
I started the construction last year in November and for one reason or another I abandoned it in time to time. At last yesterday after I had taken the P 51B pics I finished the last details. Itīs an OOB build and as always I used Model Master Enamels.
I placed the bird in the same base of my Moosie. I donīt know if these AC were in the same airfield sometime, one belongs to the Coastal Comand and the other one to the Polish Sqn., but I like the way they look together. Here are the pics. Coments will be appreciated.

Darson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 247 posts
AeroScale: 60 posts
Posted: Friday, July 28, 2006 - 06:24 AM UTC
Great job Carlos you've really done the Spitfire justice with that one, great job .

The weathering on most of the kit looks really nice and the only pieces of feedback I would have are that Spits notoriously leaked a great deal oil on the underside as per the pic

Also the undercarriage looks a little clean IMHO and could do with a wash.

Cheers
Darren
lampie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 6,249 posts
AeroScale: 3,270 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hola Carlos.
Nice Spitfire
Only thing I could spot was the undercarriage as already mentioned.A wash will blend it in nicely with everything else.
Whats next?
Nige
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Saturday, July 29, 2006 - 11:08 PM UTC
Hi Nigel:

Both are right about the udercrriage. Now looking at it in the pics they show very clean. Iīll give a try to Harriīs technique, chalk powder and then Future coat (posted the other day).
Now Iīll continue with a Spitfire Mk Ia for the Duel Campaign and a Vickers Wellington for the Bombs Away Campaign, both in 1/72, latter I donīt know, perhaps another Moosie or a B 25J in 1/72. I also have to finish a Spitfire Mk Vb 1/48 (dessert scheme - clipped wings) that was abandoned 3/4 the way.
Chau !
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Monday, August 14, 2006 - 12:31 AM UTC
When Hasegawa first released their Spitfire Mk IX the editor of one Model Magazine expounded at length on how the 316 Squadron markings could not possibly be applicable as they never received this particular variety of Mk IX Spitfire. Everything he wrote was 100% correct. However, like Hasegawa, the mistake he made was to think it was 316 Squadron aircraft. It was not. The clue is the Group Captain's pennant under the cockpit. It was the personnal aircraft of Group Captain Gabszewicz.. (At this time 316 Squadron were equipped with Mustang Mk IIIs.) Here is a copy of my letter recently published in Flypast on the subject of personnaly coded Spitfires which explains what was going on. Most senior RAF officers at the time used their initials in place of Squadron codes.

"Missing from the article were the Spitfires of the Commanders of the Polish Wing at Northolt who did not use their initials to personalise their aircraft. Best known is Gabszewicz who flew a number of Spitfires all with his old 316 Squadron codes SZ-G and his boxing dog motif while a Wing Commander and Group Captain. However, it seems this tradition was instigated by someone else.

Spitfire Mk IX, EN526, technically allocated to 306 Squadron, was the personal aircraft of W/Cdr Wojciech Kolaczkowski. For sentimental reasons he had it coded RF-K - 303 Squadron codes. On the 20th June 1943 it was taken over by W/Cdr Gabszewicz and re-coded as SZ-G, his code when CO of 316 Squadron. He continued to use this aircraft until September 1943.

NH342 was flown by Gabszewicz during the Summer and Autumn of 1944. Inside the letter S was the admonition 'WYCIERAC OBUWIE' - wipe your shoes - also carried by other Spitfires of the Wing. It was technically attached to 302 Squadron where it returned after he chose another aircraft. There it was flown by Pniak as WX-R but still with a black letter 'G' under the nose.

In November 1944 Gabszewicz was flying NH214 which bore the inscription 'City of Warsaw' (another reference to 316 Squadron) and is probably the best known of his Spitfires.

TD240 was the last of his Spitfires while CO of the Polish Wing. A low-back LF XVIe it was the first with a bubble canopy to be received by the Wing. From June 1945 it was used by S/Ldr Kaczmarek as CO of 302 Squadron and re-coded WX-V. Kaczmarek later added the 302 Squadron badge and name Janetka.

All of these Spitfires are often confused with each other and frequently mistaken for 316 Squadron aircraft. Other senior officers at Northolt also adopted SZ codes, including some British Officers. The well known photograph of Mk V BL479 is usually captioned as a 316 Squadron aircraft. It was taken in August 1943 when 316 Squadron were equipped with Mk IXs! Nor is there a single entry for BL479 in the Squadron's extremely detailed Operations Record Book. The answer is that on the 6th of August it was being flown by G/Cpt M.W.S.Robinson the Northolt Station Commander. This also explains its showroom finish and lack of chessboards.

When Gabszewicz's friend W/Cdr Tadeusz Sawicz took command of the Wing he also flew his Spitfire, TD238, with his old 316 Squadron codes SZ-K. When command passed again to Waclaw Krol he inherited Sawicz's TD238. In 302 Squadron records it is recorded as QH-L (302 Squadron changed from WX to QH post-war) but some sources say he had it coded WK-L. When CO of 302 Squadron, Krol flew WX-L. It had become something of a tradition that the CO flew 'L' for leader. (Kaczmarek did not keep the tradition.) As 302 Squadron were still equipped with Spitfires perhaps Krol changed the 'X' to 'K' for 'Krol' to avoid any confusion?"
Removed by original poster on 08/18/06 - 00:16:40 (GMT).
csch
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, August 16, 2006 - 10:16 PM UTC
Hi Antoni:

Thanks for the info.

newtothegame
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 588 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 20, 2006 - 04:31 AM UTC
Looks really nice Carlos. What did you use for the bright red light aft the antennae? Looks good!
Leon
 _GOTOTOP